Erpnext for agriculture

https://github.com/bfoxtrot/greenhouse_management

Very much a work in progress.

1 Like

François, I am working to implement ERPNext still. I have however, jumped to design the workflow and the DocTypes for the farming setup. I am reviewing other modules out there, and validating what is necessary and what is not. I’ll check into Brandon’s work to see if we can fork from that and improve.

If you see me “disappear” for some time I am having a Jackson Pollock moment, deep into ruminations as to best ways to program this. I am not losing the motivation to improve ERPNext. I am gaining better usage experience by the day.

3 Likes

Any repo I can look at?

Not yet @Brandon_Fox, still busy doing basic implementation, but I will be working on the Ag Module in the near future.

So far it seems like it will be an marginal improvement on the fantastic manufacturing module. So far, my test is as follows with the existing Manufacturing, Stock modules

1. Create a uniquely numbered/named warehouse representing the physical space for your crop. In my case, a 15sq m Basil bed.
  2. Let’s say I will harvest this basil bed only once in a period. (working on how to represent multiharvests!)
  3. Create an item in Stock which will represent the final harvest for that particular warehouse and harvest date. such as “Basil-Wh-#345-Wk-15-harvest” UOM = Ounces
  4. Create a BOM for that item, where you input operation costs for the aprox 8 weeks from plant to harvest: W7-Bed prep = $10, W7-Planting $20, W7-Irrigation = $5, W8-Trimming, W8-Irrigation, W9-Trimming, W9-Irrigation, W10… W15-Harvest. You also add all materials used: Fertilizer 1 =2L, Fertilizer 2 =1L, Water = 200L, etc.
    When you do the harvest, the BOM has to show how much you YIELDED, in my case, Ounces = 160.
    Submit the BOM when finished.

The workflow would involve duplicating the items representing each harvest, duplicating their BOM, linking the BOM with the corresponding item, modifying them accordingly, and then submitting the BOM after each harvest. The final step is to “produce” the item so the “warehouse” (physical crop space) transfers to a temporary warehouse before final “assembly” (packaging), where more materials and operations are usually added for a finished product.

It is this workflow I will be cleaning up. I am working on other open source coding projects for my irrigation systems.

@Francois_Ifitwala and @Brandon_Fox Hey your guys stuff looks great. I am hoping to start on building a module myself in the next few months and can across this https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/wiki/Agri---Farm-ERPNext and was planning on using it as a blue print. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Hi @woakes070048,

I posted this earlier
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZDDDxz5qsLqa_9LLMwAQHtQM0kTJNyOun94V4lTeaE/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1SOlzTCesfRlSrTo_c6Emme7Py9_E_sdnTI4sY0DYqnM/edit?usp=sharing

See if that may help you. I never had the chance nor the time to start the module.

A very rudimentary start here.
https://github.com/fderyckel/Ifitwala

Let me know if I can help.

Best,

2 Likes

I am very interested in getting one started. I would be happy to collaborate on any code you develop. The one you referenced is an older attempt before I was more familiar with the system.

I noticed the new school app is getting a lot of work for the core team, but I think an agriculture app would be a great addition. As a farmer myself, I would love to have more innovation into my field. No pun intended.

1 Like

@Brandon_Fox I am thinking of modeling the software off of farmos for the most part. My team wants to start working on it so i am thinking about maybe crowdfunding the the software to get it started.

2 Likes

Are you considering open sourcing it as well?

@Brandon_Fox yes. Open Source software is important. There is a whole world of people that needs something like this and I can make my money of hosting and support of the software

1 Like

You have a repo for it? Would be able to help with docs and code.

we have not started working in it yet. We are working on the requirements and how we want to software to function. Some one did work on this https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/wiki/Agri---Farm-ERPNext but I have not looked at it the much. Maybe this would be the best place to start working on the app

I understand, though a repo with that information might help crowdsource ideas. Just my two cents. A single source for ideas might be a easier venue then the forums.

Either way, count me in.

Okay I started a repo here GitHub - harveststack/agri-erpnext: A set of agriculture modules for erpnext. As soon as i can i am going to do the requirements in rmtoo and upload them.

1 Like

@woakes070048 Thanks for creating the proper repo on Github.

I appreciate that the repo has the basic “blueprint” for the agricultural setup and erpnext.

My implementation of ERPNext so far has yielded some ideas… I will share them here and then we can add accordingly.

1. I am using BOM and Production Order to transfer materials from several warehouses to one warehouse and continue moving from that warehouse to another warehouse.
  2. ERPNext and its BOM currently manage only 1. Materials 2. Operations. but not 3. Fixed Assets (those that remain with the item produced for a time, such as a pot, planting tray, etc.)
    For illustration purposes, suppose I have BOM called: Planting. For that, I need:
    a. Materials: soil, seeds, water
    b. Operations: Measuring soil, filling the pot, making a hole, planting the seed, irrigating
    c. Fixed assets: Xcm diameter plastic draining pots

The BOM will produce a final product called “Potted plant”. After some days, the next production order is to transplant these to the field, at a different location, for example. When you do, you not only produce a plant in the soil, but the plastic draining pot, not only gets moved, but is now “freed up” as an asset that can be “washed” and reused. The production order in ERPNext, should have a field per fixed asset item as a “destination warehouse” so that when the production is validated, the items transfer to the “washing” warehouse, where another production order “pot washing” is generated, with a final destination warehouse “pot storage” setup there. (This is a feature request for ERPNext alone)

1. Clearly, the functionality is already in ERPNext for a “proper hierarchy” to attach warehouses to parent warehouses, and of course the same goes for the accounts in assets. My proposal would be to create a new DocType called “Geographical” or similar. This would be similar to Accounts, Warehouses in the following manner:
  • Each unit and subsequent subunits can be nested and shown similar to “Chart of Accounts”. You can see the tree hierarchy for “geographical locations”.

• Similar to a warehouse that has a corresponding “Account”, each “geographical unit” needs to be linked to: “Account”, “Warehouse”. This way, any action taken upon a “geographical unit” that involves transferring stock, or adding “cost of operations” through a BOM, can be registered there.

*This should replicate the proposed model for consolidation, which is already being built in to ERPNext, here:

Ok, I am almost done with implementing ERPNext.
I have some extra time now to develop. I have watched tutorials and done exercises on creating apps. I have brushed up on python / JS as well, since I have something in mind.

1. New app within bench should be the way to go.
  2. I believe a visual representation of the farm / forest / greenhouse, etc. is key, since most of the work done involves physical spaces.
    I found this developer app for js, wiath a GPL2 license once you buy commercial version for €4.99. It says that it can get data from JSON.

http://draw2d.org/draw2d/examples/examples.html

My vision: Have a Property Module, which contains the Polygon drawing app. The polygons can be drawn on a 2d plane, or a Google Map. Polygon points can be stored as a data set, to be displayed again on a map.
User can have an “activities pane” where he can visualize production data, begin a “production” or “stock entry” where source and destination polygons are clicked for an intuitive, visual transfer.

What have you guys done so far?

Hi @Tropicalrambler,
Did you manage to put things on Github to have a look at it?
It seems like you are doing great progress.
Cheers

@Francois_Ifitwala @Tropicalrambler I bought it and will share it in the repo i started.

Dear @Francois_Ifitwala and @Tropicalrambler what is the status of this development of erpnext for agreeculture. We are company active in agro inputs (not agreeculture) and will like to help if possible on this.

@Cropg1 we are starting on this very soon and would like to know how you could possibly help?