Equal sign in emails

Apologies for going off-topic here… but what editor/theme are you using in this pic?

kdevelop with the Vim (dark) theme I think?

1 Like

Hi All, I’ve been playing around with this and have a little addition to remove the \r\n hack line.
The email policy fix with the wrapping of the headers, also allows you to specify the end of line, so it was a pretty simple fix as

from email.parser import Parser
        from email.policy import EmailPolicy, SMTP as SMTP_policy

MSG_ID_HEADERS = {'message-id', 'in-reply-to', 'references', 'resent-msg-id'}

class MsgIdExemptPolicy(EmailPolicy):

def _fold(self, name, value, *args, **kwargs):
                        if (name.lower() in MSG_ID_HEADERS and
                self.max_line_length < 998 and
                self.max_line_length - len(name) - 2 < len(value)):
                                # RFC 5322, section 2.1.1: "Each line of characters MUST be no
                # more than 998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78
                # characters, excluding the CRLF.". To avoid msg-id tokens from being folded
                # by means of RFC2047, fold identifier lines to the max length instead.
                                return self.clone(max_line_length=998)._fold(name, value, *args, **kwargs)
                        return super()._fold(name, value, *args, **kwargs)

our_policy = MsgIdExemptPolicy(linesep='\r\n') + SMTP_policy
2 Likes

There is also some double encoding that was also causing issues - please see pr fix: smtp rfc compliance and line endings for exchange 2016/RFC email servers. by cjpit · Pull Request #8708 · frappe/frappe · GitHub
If people could then also test to ensure working with different email systems - I am testing with exchange 2016 and postfix/dovecot

2 Likes

I think the default line ending for the email policy ‘SMTP’ is \r\n anyway - I only used the ‘replace(’\n’, ‘\r\n’)’ hack during testing. But nothing wrong with stating it explicitly anyway, and thanks for wrapping it up into a pull request :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will definitely provide feeback as soon as the pull request is merged. Sincere thanks.