Try ERPNext Buy Support Partners Foundation

End of a production using items with multiple cost accounts

Hi everyone:

I’m having trouble getting an intended classification of the costs of the production when performing the “Finish” of the “Work Order” and I really would appreciate any guidance on this.

My current setup is a vanilla installation of ERPNext V12.7.1

As per my accountant requirement, I have to classify the cost of the items used in a production according to specific accounts on the Chart of Accounts. So I had to “break” the original “Expenses Included In Valuation” account into several others. I had used the field “Default Expense Account” on every type of item to assign those.

So far everything seems to be correct until I reach the end of the production. That last “stock transfer” for the “Manufacture” correctly reflects the debited amount for the items used on the intended “Cost Accounts” according to its “Accounting Ledger”. However those are not “closed” with an equal credited value when allocating the double entry for the “Finished Stock”. Instead a single register is credited for the account I had set for the “Default Expense Account” of the produced item.

If I remove that “Default Expense Account” for the produced item, ERPNext uses the global “Stock Adjustment Account” defined in the Company section.

Is there any way to achieve that “closing” of the cost accounts at the end of the production with an unmodified version of ERPNext? I guess posting a journal after every production can solve that, however it may seem quite impractical.

Just for an extra illustration here is what my accountant explained me I should get for the last stock movement at the end of the production:

Stock in Production… A+B: Credit
Cost of items type one… A: Debit
Cost of items type two… B: Debit

Finished Goods… A+B: Debit
Cost of items type one… A: Credit
Cost of items type two… B: Credit

Currently this is what I’m getting:

Stock in Production… A+B: Credit
Cost of items type one… A: Debit
Cost of items type two… B: Debit

Finished Goods… A+B: Debit
Default Expense Account… A+B: Credit