Email configuration for VM is too buggy and errornuous

Hi,

I thought to try using this ERP for my small company. Its been over 3 weeks now, but I could not able to configure stupid email domain. I’m using custom email on blue host port 465. I tried almost all tricks/workarounds which I found on this forum but all are pieces of crap. Every other thread in this forum, I found no replies from community or developers. They left people hanging in the middle.

I spent many hours to get it done, but faced all of following errors always.

• Grey watermark of saving, but it never save. Get 502 bad gateway error, 400 Bad request, worker errors. All these rotate with different settings I applied or when I gave IP address in SMTP server name instead.
  • Tried updating the bench, and its now 8.0.10.0 on VM. BUT now I’m having ‘int’ is not iterable error in logs, float is not iterable errors.

This ERP is piece of crap. School boy errors in logs, seems developers do not tested before release, wasting time of people who dare to try this so called ERP. I wonder why you people don’t write BETA ERP? TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

When I’m unable to configure SMTP by all possible methods, what volume of NIGHTMARES I would face in future when I shift all of my data of accounts, CRM, HR and other stuff, with pathetic support & no guidance and lack of documentation.

This seems to me an unstable LAB ERP. which is being tested and they are rectifying things by reports of issues people used to do in forums.
I used Bitnami stack and VM downloaded from ERPNext site. I downloaded VM 4 times, thinking that I would have older release or buggy download, but faced all above mentioned problems in random.

@Caspion

Its amazing that people who know so little bark the loudest.

There are thousands of others running this ERP system and they all are managing fine. I myself am running multiple instances and I have no issues at any level or feature whatsoever.

So my advice to you is, this, being an opensource application this is supported by the community, so be nice, there is not need to resort to childish bad mouthing tantrums. We are all more than happy to help.

However, if you feel that you are not happy with it, move on.

Regards
Said

1 Like

Welcome @Caspion.

You are passionate and clearly not having much success.

We all have days we prefer to forget. By nature open source can be a struggle at times.

You have lots of sympathisizers - I agree email config can be a nuisance and unfortunately is not one of ERPNext strong points.

Let us know what problem you are having so we can contribute to your success here.

Hopefully you will be surprised in a good way before too long

1 Like

@saidsl

First of all, I apologize for my hard words to the community. I respect the community. But was bitter by people like you.

Your statement of running multiple instances without problems, is a vague statement when you want to put load on somewhere by such boasting. How much you knowledge helped removing this problem? Did anybody like you ever made this bully email problem get away by writing some piece of code that could make people’s life easy in configuring the very basic function? If this is the case, you might contributed in to documentation for this problem. I joined this forum today, but watching threads since a month for resolution of my problem. You can see lot of same email configuration problems, but they’re ending up with no communication on the topic after a few messages.

If I could be able to manage this working, I will write a guide in documentation chapter (if I could) or in a post, so that it could save burning many hours of someone else. This is what expected from KNOWLEDGABLE dumb, from people with little knowledge.

My frustration was due to the basic thing of email config is not smooth and yet I didn’t find a way!

Hi @clarkej,

Thank you for your message and your time.

I’m trying to configure email domain in ERPNext VM. The VM which I downloaded from official site, hangs on Saving. On browser console, it shows 400 Bad Request, with subsequent lines saying “502 Bad Gateway”. The most prominent and regular error is “ws:xxxx/socket.io/…Invalid status line”. For this error I researched and found to update the bench. After updating I started getting errors of:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/app.py”, line 57, in application
response = frappe.handler.handle()
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/handler.py”, line 22, in handle
data = execute_cmd(cmd)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/handler.py”, line 53, in execute_cmd
return frappe.call(method, **frappe.form_dict)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/init.py”, line 923, in call
return fn(*args, **newargs)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/client.py”, line 79, in get_value
return frappe.db.get_value(doctype, filters, fieldname, as_dict=as_dict, debug=debug)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/database.py”, line 429, in get_value
order_by, cache=cache)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/database.py”, line 473, in get_values
out = self._get_values_from_table(fields, filters, doctype, as_dict, debug, order_by, update)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/database.py”, line 599, in _get_values_from_table
conditions, values = self.build_conditions(filters)
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/frappe/frappe/database.py”, line 392, in build_conditions
for f in filters:
TypeError: ‘int’ object is not iterable

I also tried Bitnami VM. On that machine, on email domain configuration, it keep on saying “invalid email address”. I tried giving other gmail/yahoo/hotmail accounts, but no luck.

Please suggest how can I make it work. Or should I try installing myself using script without using VM? Is VM image has such problems?

I don’t think that Frappe spend too long with the VM. As a test its ok but really you may be better off installing the script in s VPS or virtual machine on a bare Linux server.

One thing I remember from testing with the VM a few months ago was that bizarrely my mail server hostname could not be resolved in DNS. So I cheated and added my mail server IP to the hostname in my Linux install and was then able to save my config and continue without email problems.

The Bitnami stack has no input from Frappe it’s purely put together by Bitnami and is laid out in quite a different architecture than that normally used.

Otherwise try the demo.erpnext.com account. To test out and see if the application fits your requirements.

Good luck
Julian

1 Like

Thanks Julian,

I’m also planning to install over bare Linux on VM. Can you please guide which linux distribution I should use, which was the best match for you? Pl also guide which installation script, step-by-step guide you used for your environment. It will greatly help me achieving this if you share any such guide.

Hi

I used Ubuntu 1604 server . I used the normal ERPNext install script.

Julian

Hi @Caspion,

You can find all necessary information to install ERPNext on an Ubuntu or CentOS server at this link:

Thank you @chdecultot. I’m doin it. Let you know in case of problem.

Thats the one. Sorry I didnt get time to publish the link as @chdecultot kindly did :wink: