Does mysqldump work for simple backup?

Hi all, unfortunately I can’t use the dropbox backup manager because my server isn’t on the internet and, even if it was, our firewall blocks dropbox access (big public company, strict IT security policies).

Are there any downsides of using mysqldump for backup and the mysql cli to restore it? I’ve experimented a couple times and haven’t encountered any issues so far, but the database doesn’t have much in it yet. I know I should stop ERPNext and block access to the database first, but for now I’ll run the backup at 3 am when everyone in the company is sleeping (or partying, but not working ;-)).

Thanks,
Dale

By default, there’s a cronjob to take backups, which uses mysqldump (with --single-transaction and --quick). It should be consistent.

Hi pdvyas, thanks! I looked at the cron script, and looked at “frappe --help”, but I don’t know if I ever could have dug deep enough to see that mysqldump was being used.

Does the dropbox integration simply put the sql.gz files in dropbox instead of /home/frappe/frappe-bench/sites/site1.local/private/backups? Does the documentation for restoring from dropbox apply to restoring from a local backup file?

Finally, do the files in /home/frappe/frappe-bench/sites/site1.local/public have to be backed up separately in order for a full restoration to be possible?

Regards,
Dale

Yes, it’s same as dropbox. I’ll be adding a bench restore-backup command soon (will will take path to db dump and files backup as args)