[Discussion] The Healthcare Module and the ICD - Brainstorming to gain a wider and bigger audience

Dear Forum,

I´m writing here with regards to using the ICD within the Healthcare Module in order to attract a wider audience e.g. health insurance companies and governmental organisations in addition to the use in clinics and practices.
For all that dont know what the ICD is - here a broad description:
The ICD (International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems) is issued by the WHO (World Health Organisation) in collaboration with national suborganisations. It is the most important coding sheme by which doctors and other qualified medical personell all over the world classify and diagnose certain diseases and health conditions. It also serves as the defacto common vocabulary in order to get a global understanding of health issues and their causes and of course for communication to and within other health related organisations e.g. health insurances or govenmental institutions. Hence there is a multitude of translations and national interpretations as you can imagine.
There are other coding shemes issued by the WHO related to the ICD such as the

• ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health)
  • ICHI (International Classification of Health Interventions)

That are meant to describe impact of health conditions and interventions for chalengeing them.
But for now let us focus on the ICD.

For those wanting to find out more abou those coding shemes please visit
http://www.who.int/classifications/en/
The ICD is currently issued in the 10th revision (ICD-10) but revision no. 11 (ICD-11) is on its way being currently in draft. The first release will be in english of course and is expected to be ready within 2018. It will serve as the base for the other national translations and interpretations that will build up on it - Germany f.e. is thought to be ready until 2020 - however the english speaking nations will start implementing it within 2018!
ICD-11 is comming with a multitude of changes compared to the ICD-10 like

• reorganisation of chapters
  • completely new coding sheme
  • new coding sheme enabling cluster coding
  • encouraging the use of APIs in order to facilitate digitalisation with all it´s advantages

Not only the Healthcare Module is growing and as it does the importance of integrating coding shemes will grow. It is my understanding that organisations mentioned above would also benefit from an implementation of those shemes within ERPNext opening up for a wider audience for ERPNext especially those large organisations such as health insurances and the government.
Hence I belive that the sooner we are ready with a useful implementation of the coding shemes that facilitates the needs of such organisations the more attention is attracted to ERPNext.

• What is a useful implementation?
  • How can we implement facilitating every need of the medical industries?
  • What may be usefull that maybe no one even thought of so far?

Those are the questions we should be asking and answering within this threat.
Well, first I suggest to read up on this
https://www.health.belgium.be/sites/default/files/uploads/fields/fpshealth_theme_file/nrc-be_04_icd11_sct_nenadkostanjsek_20180328.pdf

it gives a pretty good starting point as an overview of the ICD-11 in comparison to the ICD-10 and the digital infrastructures and tools implemented so far.

So if we have any healthcare professionals amongst the Healthcare Module volunteers… chip in, give your thoughts, tell us your needs!

Things I could imagine would benefit the prospect ERPNext users in the health industrie would or could be:

• Coding tool/diagnostic browser - enter symptoms and find the corresponding codes and automatically clustercode by selection/tick boxing of appropriate codes
  • suggest codes to be investigated based on test results or suggest furthr tests based on the findings
  • Intervention mapping - find code correlating interventions and medications
  • tie interventions to fees and automatically create invoices for patients and health insurance companies
  • cluster code reverse lockup
  • Mapping of codes from ICD-10 to ICD-11 - If that can be done automatically or at least strongly AI assisted it would safe everyone in the healthcare industrie a ton of work after the implementation of the new ICD-11 - keep in mind the new one results in a harsh shift of coding paradigm!

I will update this post as the threat evolves

best

spa

9 Likes

Looks like Healthcare implementation has not yet gained the momentum needed. However, it is already a great product as it is and it is evolving with a faster pace.
I would happily join the discussion as per the implementation from other systems require significant care and mapping of this basic coding system.

1 Like

Looking forward! We have a few updates as part of the version 15 release - please try and let us know your feedback. Creating GitHub issues will work best

@Tufan_Kaynak2 you are right, however there are a few implementations we are working on, which are proving very useful in adding more features. The more use cases that can be tracked on GitHub, the better. We have a Telegram group as well, please consider joining and posting any queries / requests / feedback.

thanks!

I find the Medication/Item relation a bit loose.

yes, many folks want that as a 1-1 relation, as opposed to what we have in the core… I guess it’s better if it’s left to the implementor to decide.

In Medication, if you link multiple items in the child table then Patient Encounter will support choosing from one of the linked items - the physician can choose a particular brand based on preference / stock availability

1-1 relation is a pretty bad design. If you would check WHO’s ATC structure, this design here works. However, when we select the item/items in the child table, the rest of the line is not propagated from the Item fields. Can you elaborate on that?

will check that, it should be fixed if at all the item details are not fetched.

@akash_krishna, please?

@Tufan_Kaynak2 the rest of the line fields - default dosage, period, dosage_form all can be configured in Medication only, thats why when you select a medication (which has these defaults configured and item selected) it will fetch all these data. But as people wanted items to be manually selected in the table without medication, Item Field was allowed to be selected.

dosage, period, dosage_form fields are not intrinsic to the Doctype Item. So, this is natural. Moreover, we don’t expect medication to be an Item.
On the Medication Form, Section Linked Item, when we add the Item Code which we have defined as Item previously, the rest of the fields in child table like: Item Group Brand Manufacturer, Item are nor propagated. Please see below

@Tufan_Kaynak2 Yes, initially Medication Item table only supports item creation, that’s why item details was not getting fetched. We will bring that :+1:

Why can’t we change Strength in a Medication which Is Combination? It always brings the Strength levels defined in the Medication brought into the Combination…