Discussion on Last Modified Time Stamps on Transactions and Masters

Dear All,

I have noticed something which I think needs more discussion in erp next. The point of contention is that last modified time stamp on transactions and masters.

In the current system the last modified time of a Sales Order is the time when a transaction related to that sales order is done and the person modifying this SO is the one who last modified the transaction related to the SO.

Like if I make a SO on 01-Aug then I submit that SO so the last modified time stamp would be mine on 01-Aug at the time of submitting the transaction. Now if 10 days later if Mr X makes a Delivery note related to that SO then the last modified time stamp comes to be that of 11-Aug by Mr X.

My question is that is this kind of stamping on the transactions and masters a good idea. I ask this because in case of customer masters it becomes almost impossible to know who modified this customer master since the transactions are making this customer master time stamps change.

Shouldn’t the system consider the last modified as the one in which there is a direct change of a MASTER or TRANSACTION by user rather than a change induced by code.

I would love to hear the replies on this issue from other users as well.

One of the reasons I strarted to use Erpnext was its ability to timestamp manually. I never use, and like, the automatic stamps generated by Erpnext that are even stamped if one just opens an doc (record). The automatic stamp is always used in the default display list so that even SO of month ago, is listed first, if I just looked at it. I believe the user should be able to selct how to display this list.

I am not 100% whether this is the same as Addy refers to, but feel it is related. 
rgds robert

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:47:02 AM UTC+2, Addy wrote:
Dear All,

I have noticed something which I think needs more discussion in erp next. The point of contention is that last modified time stamp on transactions and masters.

In the current system the last modified time of a Sales Order is the time when a transaction related to that sales order is done and the person modifying this SO is the one who last modified the transaction related to the SO.

Like if I make a SO on 01-Aug then I submit that SO so the last modified time stamp would be mine on 01-Aug at the time of submitting the transaction. Now if 10 days later if Mr X makes a Delivery note related to that SO then the last modified time stamp comes to be that of 11-Aug by Mr X.

My question is that is this kind of stamping on the transactions and masters a good idea. I ask this because in case of customer masters it becomes almost impossible to know who modified this customer master since the transactions are making this customer master time stamps change.

Shouldn’t the system consider the last modified as the one in which there is a direct change of a MASTER or TRANSACTION by user rather than a change induced by code.

Aditya, Robert,

You are right - Customer timestamps should not be updated automatically.

This is because, we check conflicts using timestamps. So every-time a value is changed in the Customer (last Sales Order), its timestamp is updated. This will stop some other user (who does not have the latest data loaded to update the Customer).

Ideally such information (like Last Sales Order etc.) should not be updated in the master because it is redundant and can be got from a query. In the new version, we are planning to strip down all redundancy to minimum so this problem will not arise.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 21-Aug-2012, at 11:29 AM, robert <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

One of the reasons I strarted to use Erpnext was its ability to timestamp manually. I never use, and like, the automatic stamps generated by Erpnext that are even stamped if one just opens an doc (record). The automatic stamp is always used in the default display list so that even SO of month ago, is listed first, if I just looked at it. I believe the user should be able to selct how to display this list.

I am not 100% whether this is the same as Addy refers to, but feel it is related. 
rgds robert

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:47:02 AM UTC+2, Addy wrote:
Dear All,

Shouldn't the system consider the last modified as the one in which there is a direct change of a MASTER or TRANSACTION by user rather than a change induced by code.