Discount terms - ideas?

Hi again-
Our current system allows us to give discounts to certain qualified customers such as net 15 terms where they would get a 5% discount if paid in 15 days. If not paid in that timeframe, then no discount is applied.

Can anyone help me with a creative solution to this in ERPNext? I’ve looked at several options but nothing seems quite right. We currently just print on the invoice at the bottom like “5% discount if paid within 15 days” so it’s nothing really fancy - just the text on the invoice and then the ability to put in the discount when we receive the payment and show $0 balance by auto calculating the discount.

Thanks
Heather

2 Likes

Currently there is no such build in feature to auto apply discount based on payment terms. You have to write the terms on Payment Terms / Terms and Conditions. And then have to enter the discount manually on payment entry.

So, if we have someone that takes a discount on their payment, we enter it on payment entry under deductions/loss but it continues to think that invoice has not been paid. How do we have ERPNext “know” that this invoice is completely paid.

For instance, customer invoice is $3000. Customer has discount of 5% so they pay $2850 and we enter that in payment. Now what? This $150 is still showing outstanding. Any ideas?

I am also curious how to do this. I tried to discount the early payment and assign a deduction/loss to an account and cost center but my Sales Invoice is still marked Unpaid.

I think this post will help you solve it. Payment Entry - Deductions/Loss not working - #12 by FinForce

In brief, just check in your allocation amount (in last column) amount should be equal to your Sales Invoice and the amount of discount given should be shown as -ve amount under deduction table. So the total of (i) allocation table & (ii) deduction table equal to the payment Received.

Interesting. I’m going to cancel a payment entry I did today with discount and try to do it this way. I didn’t think I was able to type into the allocated amount box but I will try it tomorrow!