Default Unit of Measure NOS

Hi,

Anybody could explain me what NOS stands for.

It is the default “Default Unit of Measure” when you create an “Item” in “Stock”.

The only thing I could think of was “Not Otherwise Specified”
But if the quantity measurement is not specified, why mention it at all?
So that can’t be it right?

Regards,
Jan

3 Likes

My guess is it is short for numbers. In English No is short for number so nos would be numbers. It is used a lot in the building trade where measurements can be mixed up with the quantities as they are both numbers so you say 3 number 10 by 2 plyboard and it becomes clear that the 3 is the quantity. It’s unusual in the UK or Ireland to see it pluralised ie nos instead of just no for all numbers. It has made it’s way out in to other fields where ambiguity might be an issue. Having said that I find “each” more common when the number of single units as the typical use case here. I’d just set your default to each if that’s what makes more sense.

Just waiting for someone else to come along say well actually it means this “?” :smiley:

3 Likes

nobody will :slight_smile:

@becht_robert I do :smiley:

yes NOS is numbers and its used in many cases one of them is the building as @eamonn stated…

but also can be used in different places for patches in example and packages…

but also it can mean in manufacturing NOS as New Old Stock which states to the type of the refactored stock from old stock…

so it actually can mean what ever you want it but not preferable to use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everybody for clearing this up for me.

Its too confusing for customer though.
They just want to buy “1” item, not “1 Nos” item.

I am using this uom, but i’m omitting the NOS in every document :slight_smile:

you can simply add another UOM and use it instead…

also you can use unit as an item so it would be the same…

1 Like

Pretty sure it means ‘Not otherwise specified’ and not ‘numbers’. That seems to be what it means in the standards that I’m familiar with. I know its a dead thread. Just leaving this here for anyone else that goes looking with a search engine and ends up here.

exactly, you are true. NOS stands for number.

thank you, me too end-up here. and find the solution, nos = ‘numbers’