Custom Script, check for connected forms help!

Hi, I am working with custom scripts in ERPNext to help enforce some rules. So far, Its going ok, but I am struggling to check connected forms from the script item… For example:

frappe.ui.form.on(‘Stock Entry’, {
validate(frm) {
if (stock_entry_type == ‘Material Receipt’)
{
for (var row in doc.items)
{
???
}
}
}
});

I have a Stock Entry Item. when this is validated, I would like to check that the item being added to stock does not have a connected BOM. Can anyone point me to the correct Jinja / JS code that would return a list of connected BOMs to the items on the stock entry? I do not want to use the “manufacturing” checkbox on the item as we do have nested BOMs.

The end result is to inhibit the Save / Submit button on a “Material Receipt” IF any item within the stock entry has a BOM. We should use the Work Order to create these items. They cannot simply be added.
Thanks!

Hi Phil,

Offhand, I do not know which JS function(s) might yield the data you need: Given a single Item,does that Item have any associated BOMs? (yes/no)

Is your ERPNext self-hosted, or are you using a service provider’s cloud?

A few options I can think of:

1. Try doing some wildcard searches in the JS code files related to Items and BOMs. You might get lucky.

2. If you can, write your own Python function that yields the answer:

@frappe.whitelist()
def does_item_have_boms(item_code):
# ....
# returns a True/False

Then call this function from your JS code, using 'frappe.call()'

1. Don’t write any JS code at all. Instead, modify the Document controller functions (server-side Python) related to Save and Submit.
  • validate()
  • on_submit()

For these situations, I spend a little time searching for out-of-the-box code. But if I cannot find it? I just create my own. It’s not worth being stuck hours/days, trying to find something, when you could have already written your own solution.

Later, if you do stumble on the out-of-the-box equivalent? Great. Then you can always go back and replace your custom function, with that one.

we are self hosted, so I will investigate the python example. Thanks!