Custom App Themes for Erpnext

@Randy_Lowery How about merge request your theme to main Frappe repo? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@saba_ilex this might not be a good forum to SELL your theme.

You do know this is an open source forum right?

…On a lighter note…

olamide

1 Like

Yes but… IMHO…And I don’t want to start a complicated conceptual discussion here… I personally think its great that developers can create revenue streams around an Open Source project. To me front end website themes would be a good non invasive revenue stream for frappe developers. The default theme is perfectly usable and good but if you want a shiny flash website that matches your company brand then a online shop that has a few you can choose from for money would be cool… Opps… I really don’t want to start an open source vs propriety discussion…

5 Likes

Lol

How far do you want to take this position?

…the current P&L and work flow is perfectly use able but if you want one structured for Schools you need to pay extra

Until you get to
…if you want to use ERPNEXT please pay for the license else excel is perfectly useable.

Point being if you believe you need to make extra money by contributing a little feature to a free product…what should the original designer of the whole product say??

…Argument started…if we accept your position the whole open source concept will break down.

1 Like

Themes are beautiful!

Only if there was a way to install these themes easily like wordpress themes. Then the platform for themes will be available to all users. Any user who wants to install theme without setting up custom app can install.

hooks.py > app_include_css and “themefile.css” are the only things required?

7 Likes

Exactly !! Thank you @System19

And how much of this revenue stream are you willing to kick back to the original developers of the solution on which you are piggy backing on?

Am sure if they had the same mindset you would not have this opportunity

Warm Regards

3 Likes

True.

My statement came with a lot of cravats that I couldn’t find time to type. One being that selling a theme does not exclude a dev giving code back to frappe core. Some people sell a service like client setup/consultancy… Others sell a service like making it look all pretty. Same same. :slight_smile:

I think this is a realisation we all need to come to individually… It took me a few years to really come to understand the true spirit of Open Source. Nothing wrong with selling services on top of Open Source because it is anyway needed to sustain growth of adoption. People will always need implementation partners for an ERP system no matter how simple it is and the core ERP team can’t possibly handle this alone. It is however very important for those of us who benefit from this to see it as an obligation to give back!

I believe that setting an individually pre-determined percentage of profits to give back will help a lot in this respect. It’s up to each person to decide what percentage works for them but set something definite or else you’ll end up doing nothing (even though you have good intentions)

Selling products (scripts, codes, themes etc) that could have been merged into the core product to enhance it is however a bit more tricky. Maybe we, as a community, with some direction from the foundation may need to find a way to compensate devs who put time into creating these kinds of enhancements while merging the product itself into the core. Maybe we could have some bounty-style system but post-development. Also, there would need to be some kind of structured framework for these kinds of contributions so that it doesn’t get too fragmented and we can get inputs from the core frappe team as well

@JayRam what do you think?

Cheers!

Great you know if there is a MINIMALIST theme ???

Is there any instructions shows how to install this?

the README files (which exist in most repositories on github) is the first location to look for instructions/manuals as they often are used for such.

2 Likes

Thanks

this theme install with V11 ???

why not try it and then tell us all?

Buddy, I’ve got this error:

frappe@vultr:~/frappe-bench$ bench get-app https://github.com/RandyLowery/ni_dar k_theme.git
INFO:bench.app:getting app ni_dark_theme
INFO:bench.utils:git clone GitHub - RandyLowery/ni_dark_theme: Dark Theme for frappe --d epth 1 --origin upstream
Cloning into ‘ni_dark_theme’…
remote: Enumerating objects: 28, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (28/28), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (17/17), done.
remote: Total 28 (delta 1), reused 25 (delta 1), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (28/28), done.
installing ni_dark_theme
INFO:bench.app:installing ni_dark_theme
INFO:bench.utils:./env/bin/pip install -q -e ./apps/ni_dark_theme
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
command: /home/frappe/frappe-bench/env/bin/python3 -c ‘import sys, setuptoo ls, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = ‘"’"’/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/ni_dark_theme/se tup.py’“'”‘; file=’“'”‘/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/ni_dark_theme/setup.py ‘"’"’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘"’“‘open’”‘"’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace( ‘"’“‘\r\n’”‘"’, ‘"’“‘\n’”‘"’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘"’“‘exec’” ‘"’))’ egg_info
cwd: /home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/ni_dark_theme/
Complete output (5 lines):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/home/frappe/frappe-bench/apps/ni_dark_theme/setup.py”, line 3, in < module>
from pip.req import parse_requirements
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pip.req’
----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check th e logs for full command output.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/bench”, line 11, in
load_entry_point(‘bench’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘bench’)()
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/cli.py”, line 40, in cli
bench_command()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 722, in call
return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 697, in main
rv = self.invoke(ctx)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 1066, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 895, in invoke
return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 535, in invoke
return callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/commands/make.py”, line 41, in get_app
get_app(git_url, branch=branch)
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/app.py”, line 136, in get_app
install_app(app=app_name, bench_path=bench_path, verbose=verbose)
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/app.py”, line 172, in install_app
find_links=find_links))
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/utils.py”, line 161, in exec_cmd
raise CommandFailedError(cmd)
bench.utils.CommandFailedError: ./env/bin/pip install -q -e ./apps/ni_dark_them

Do you imagine what can I made wrong?

Thanks!

@xickomesquita you have proplem in pip , it is old.
you have to change setup.py file like this:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
from setuptools import setup, find_packages
try: # for pip >= 10
	from pip._internal.req import parse_requirements
except ImportError: # for pip <= 9.0.3
	from pip.req import parse_requirements
import re, ast

then run this command to install app in env:

./env/bin/pip install -e apps/erpnext/

1 Like

Thanks… one doubt: in frappe, erpnext, or in the theme file?

@xickomesquita You have to change this file :