Creating an ordering system based on dimensions

Hello,
I work for a company that manufactures cabinet components for the woodworking industry. Our website is http://portadoor.com We are currently in the process of leaving our outdated ERP system and I have been tasked with migrating to a new one. I came across ERPNext and would like some help getting started. I know a little bit about coding, but not quite enough to get started on my own here. So i tried to classify things as best I can.

For one, we price our products much differently than what is standard of an online store. We dont just have one item with a few a variants or whatever. We base our pricing off of SQ FT, which is derived from the equation
Height * Width / 144 = SQ FT

Then the equation continues. We have a few fixed Variables
Each item classified as a list has an associated price to each item.
For example a
PRP15 = $8.10
PRP15 Deluxe = $12.30

Design Charge (PRP15, PRP25, PRP35, etc.)[List]
Lip Type (A, B, M, etc.) [List]
Finish [Clear, Prime, etc.) [List]
Panels Height [Integer]
Panels Wide [Integer]
Options (Finger Pulls, Lip as Pair, etc) [List]
Material Charge (Maple, Cherry, etc) [List]
Grade and Thickness (4/4, 5/4) [List]
Mould Type (4/4, 5/4, etc.) [List]
Panel Type (A, B, C, etc.) [List]

Note: Panel type and mould type don’t have prices associated with them, they’re just for design choices

As you can tell there are a lot of variables here and I have to have our order system be able to generate a price.

So…when you order from us you first have a choices that will be fixed through out the order
Wood type, Design, Lip Type, Mould Type, Panel Type, Grade and Thickness, Finish, and Options.
Then from there you will select the amount, width, height, panels height, panels wide, any other options (per row)
So each row you would select the amount, width, height, etc.

The equation to generate the price is as follows
[Design charge + Lip Charge + Finish * (Panels H * Panels W) + Options) + (SQ FT * Material Charge)](Amount) {PER ROW}*

The all the rows are added up to generate the total.

We also have a few other costs like shipping, but I assume thats all in the front end of ERPNext.

Here is a link to an excel document I have created that has an example form (with all the equations associated) to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k0L45sLVNseV9nbVhIakJBSEk/view?usp=sharing

I guess I’m just looking for some advice on where to start, how I should organize everything, etc.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!
-Justin

@Justin_Romanos welcome to the forum!

Based on our experience of working with more than 500 companies, we recommend you implement the ERPNext features that you get out of the box first and then customize as you see need. There is already so much value you can gain by doing this and you might see things differently.

Regarding your specific query, you can create a new costing sheet.

Here is a good place to start learning ERPNext http://frappe.github.io/frappe/user/tutorial/

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I’m not trying to start an app from scratch, i would like the use ERPNext. I’m just curious how i would go about creating custom forms where i can apply these equations.

You can create new doctype / custom doctype to make a form that does the costing for you. as suggested going through the tutorial will give you an idea how to create simple forms to collect values and options and then apply your equations via code.