Create Sales Order for leads . Any ideas?

I want to create an sample sales order for our leads so that before converting into customer they can place order . Any ideas .

You can’t create a Sales Order for leads. Only for customers. You can create a quotation instead and change the print heading:

https://docs.erpnext.com/docs/user/manual/en/selling/quotation

https://docs.erpnext.com/docs/user/manual/en/setting-up/print/print-headings

I know but I want to provide samples to my leads before converting them to customer also if they provide the sample sales order I have to produce the item also . Any particular suggestion you have will be helpful.
Thanks.

I mean what’s the harm in coverting your lead to a customer and then doing a sales order?

Or have a Dummy Customer and use a custom field to connect up with lead and do your sales orders on the dummy customer.

I think converting to customer when you are on the verge of providing a sample is not a bad option at all. That’s what I’d do.

Trust this helps!

Thanks

Jay

1 Like

Thanks for your response ,
I have same thinking but sometime clients have specific process which cannot be achieved in current scenario . I would try to add lead into sales order review all code . What do you think about it ?

You’re welcome to try. But I think it’s a huge overkill. Not sure what processes your clients have that this will solve.

But hey, it’s your instance and you are welcome to take it wherever you please. :slight_smile:

Thanks

Jay

Like @JayRam said this is an overkill and it looks like you might be overthinking a simple process.

Create a quotation with a new design that says Sales Order and you are done.

But then we might be wrong

Thanks for the response
I know that it’s an overkill , I just want to include that sales order in production and link to delivery note and every thing but for lead which I think cannot be done .
Regards,
Tarun

Hi Tarun,

Apologies I missed this message.

Well, here’s the problem with what you are trying to do: You can only make a Sales Order for a customer. Not for a lead. (I know, you are groaning, because this is where your thread started :slight_smile: ). So, you have two options:

Convert the Lead to a Customer (and as you do, ERPNext maintains a link between the Lead and the Customer, so with a bit of scripting you can always get any information in the Lead record into anything you are doing with the Sales Order or the linked downstream documents (such as Delivery Note, Sales Invoice, Payment Request, Payment Entry, Production Order, Stock Entries, etc. etc.).

Use a generic record for a customer and add a custom field and Link it to Lead. Again, with a bit of scripting you can always get any information in the Lead record into anything you are doing with the Sales Order or the linked downstream documents (such as Delivery Note, Sales Invoice, Payment Request, Payment Entry, Production Order, Stock Entries, etc. etc.).

Either ways you can’t avoid the scripting. If you are worried about the conversion factor of Leads to Customers and want to take only those that have placed you an order as a customer and not prospects that have just taken a sample (maybe this is the real reason why you are agonizing over this :slight_smile: ), you can generate the a custom report that lists the Item Groups that the customer has Sales Orders that have been recorded on your system and you can ignore the customers that only have Samples in the Item Group.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Jay

Thank you for your reply . And there is no need to apologise we all are helping each other here .
As far as problem is concerned I some how managed the client to use the customer and sales order . Because in their use case lead is only for creating sample sales order .

What I have done :slightly_smiling_face:
Add two new field in customer

1. Type (Customer or Lead )
  2. Lead Stage (if type is lead )

Thanks again.