Could not find Parent Account - solved with update

We recently decided to take advantage of the great new feature in V10 in which we can number our accounts. In the US we classify Cost or Goods Sold with 4000 numbers and Indirect Expenses with 5000 number accounts. Accordingly I needed to create a new root Expense Account for COGS so that it could be it’s own category.

I clicked on the company name and hit “Add Child” I added an account called COGS and gave it a random number. When I tried to save it it says “Could not find Parent Account”. Anyone know how to resolve this issue? This problem with adding to the chart of accounts only occurred after we started numbering them.

Thanks all!

What version of ERPNext are you on ?

We are on ERPNext: v10.0.4 (master) and Frappe Framework: v10.0.5 (master).

Perhaps this is staing the obvious, but
did you refresh/reload before clicking? (click your logged in name near screen top-right, and then the Reload option)

Already tried that and even did a reboot. I cannot move any existing accounts to the root level either (it keeps asking for Parent Account). Basically, it seems that there is a setting for Parent Account somewhere which was removed when I started adding account numbers. Anyone know where this is?

I guess you’ll have to update your system to a more recent version. This issue was resolved in the subsequent minor update. Here’s the PR that fixed it - [fix] pass is root parameter on node creation by saurabh6790 · Pull Request #4730 · frappe/frappe · GitHub

Also, there was another error with deleting an Account which was fixed much later.
So, I highly recommend you to update to the latest version.

Thank you very much for that info @Zlash65 ! We just updated to ERPNext: v10.0.23 (master) and Frappe Framework: v10.0.25 (master) and I can confirm that this corrected the problem.