Contribute to the Quickbooks Connector

yes there is issue because in your setting you are using consumer key and secret. but in new settings there are client ID and Client secret.
I developed odoo-quickbooks connector that I had to change when quickbooks changed their settings
please find screenshots attached

@nauman_sharif but things are still working for ERPNext v7 (app was launched for this version) and QuickBooks (India/Singapore) at our end (which we have tested). You probably overlooking/comparing with your experience of Odoo, I am not sure how fair that would be unless you try it.

In that case you may wait till Feb mid. very tentative for next release update. We are working on the upgrade currently.

@gupteshwar I have installed your app and trying to make it work for last three days. You are right that app is working fine on your end but it works with quickbooks old apps(oAuth1) that where created before july 2017. Quickbooks now does not allow to create apps with oAuth1 as they launch oAuth2 support.
Can you please create a new app on quickbooks and try testng connector with that.
Thanks for response :slight_smile:

bghtrbb added the OAuth2 connector here. Iā€™m wondering if you guys can merge it and the develop branch to master (I made a pull request from his master to your develop). This will really influence us to move to ERPNext.

The Indictrans QBO codebase is being moved into the core by the Frappe team with an NET release of next month. Both sides of which were sponsored in part by Parsimony.

The following is an opinion:
The biggest shift in a change from QB to ERPNext is about Items. QB is beautified checkbook, ERPNext is a whole lot more than that, but contains a very powerful Stock Ledger (which is in ERPNext more of a driver of the accounting functions than QB, where Items are an afterthought). Bottom line, if you need to keep track of ā€œthingsā€, QB is inadequate. Also erpnext.com hosting is cheaper (~3:1) and their support is better. What donā€™t you get? US localizations, maybe. Integration with Paychex? Hard pass.

Why havenā€™t you the switch already? </sarcasm>

3 Likes

First of all, Thanks!
Second of all, the main reason we havenā€™t moved yet is primarily because it takes time to move to a new system, and train the employees, second reason is because the non-profit module isnā€™t complete and as we are a non-profit this is critical (I have been working on adding the necessary parts but Iā€™ve hit some roadblocks), third is simply because QB is a more standard accounting tool and if we need to bring in a contractor, teaching them a new system is quite impractical.

Yes, this true of any conversion in accounting systems, which is why they tend to happen something like every other decade or with a change in ownership. But at this point weā€™re hijacking this thread. If you want specific help with a QBO migration, start another thread and tag me.

Is this connector/migrator live?

Itā€™s ready in V11 which is a developer release not for production use as yet.

But youā€™re welcome to test it :grin:

I do not think itā€™s released even in v11. The QuickBooks connector is still under active development. I have not heard or read about any progress on the QBO/Tally connector announced in the Oct-18 conference.

Maybe @adityahase could give us an update on the latest status.

There is a ā€œQuickbooks Migratorā€ in v11 and it is tagged as ā€œunder developmentā€ when the DocType loads on the screen.

1 Like

Where can one go to see if there is any movement on this project?

There would be many potential newcomers to ERPNext if there was a working connector to QB online. I would like to try to follow along on the progress.

BKM

@adityahase is actively working on this project of building a QuickBooks Connector. We recently tested it (2 weeks back) with our live data in QuickBooks. The connector is being built only as a Migration tool for the first time adopter of ERPNext and it has only one way sync from QBO >> ERPNext.

From our testing, we found some issue still existed and we reported those to Aditya and looking forward to hearing more updates from him soon.

1 Like

Ahhā€¦ ok. So, this project is intended to allow new users to switch from Quickbooks to ERPNext as their financial accounting tool.

Is there a plan to allow a one way sync from EPRNext to Quickbooks Online?

The reason I ask is there are many many small businesses that have been with QuickBooks Online for a long time and their paid 3rd party accountants (the firms that do their taxes for them) only accept QuickBooks data.

This means they want things like Sales Invoices and Purchase Orders to transfer over to QuickBooks instead of the other direction.

Quickbooks currently has the best method of allowing a 3rd party accountant to balance the books and do taxes at the end of the year. They have a special ā€œAccountantā€ feature that moves a backup of all QBO data to a file the accountant can manipulate in order to get the year end data finished. When the accountant is finished he send back his modified version of the data and it is restored to the customers QB database so they can continue into their new year.

Newer versions of QBO give the accountant a direct login to the account ad bypasses this function. However, ERPNext is not designed from a workflow perspective to allow for this kind of work (at least not yet). More importantly, there is not enough ERPNext clients in the wild yet to generate the interest in 3rd party accountants to learn the current system because QB make a special accountant version that does all the hard work for them. ERPNext does not have that either.

So the drive for most small businesses is to adopt only such software systems that allow them to continue to use QB as their accounting package because they do not want to try to find an accountant that knows how to use ERPNext.

Honestly, it appears you took on the most difficult path for your project. ERPNext is a constantly moving target and I believe there are fewer people wanting to follow in your chosen direction. Most would prefer the opposite. Even if QB is horrible, terrible and nasty, it is what their accountants require and they will go to almost any length to avoid having to find a new accountant (including passing on ERPNext in favor of a lesser quality package).

BKM

:slight_smile: it is not me.
It is some passionate people like yourself in the USA sponsored building a two-way connector with QBO. So, that Accountant in the USA are happy with their job and businesses (SMB) can leverage other aspects of ERPNext -like robust Inventory module, Workflow, etcā€¦

However, the project of building two-way sync integration did not fly much, it had several bugs (this is what is being told to me), after that the second attempt is to build a migration tool from QBO to ERPNext.

So, what you are asking is the Ideal thing to have and there are few financial supporters are there, but I believe no passionate developer exists in the community to take up that challenging task.

1 Like

Just my luck! Thank you for the insight.

BKM

We have sponsored two separate development projects trying to get a QBO connector working. For several reasons, it is much more difficult than it appears. We now look at the project as three phases:

• One-Time (QBOā€“> ERPNext migration),
  • One-Way (QBOā€“> ERPNext on a regular interval), and
  • Two-Way (QBO<ā€“>ERPNext regularly).

My understanding of the current version in v11 is ā€œOne-Timeā€, but the user should expect that the default (or modified) ERPNext Chart of Accounts will be heavily modified by the incoming QBO CoA.

We might come back and explore a third project to insert a CoA Mapping tool into the process so that we could have a robust connector for One-Way and One-Time connections.

I have been told by several people (that are smarter than me) that there are fundamental differences in QBO that would make pushing data back to it from ERPNext an almost impossible task. I donā€™t see us investing in Two-Way (or One-Way to QBO).

2 Likes

Naah I think this is just a matter of a meeting of minds et cetera :wink:

1 Like

LOL :rofl: Thanks John, but itā€™s not my quote.

Michael, I appreciate your input. You statement about pushing data to QBO is the one that worries me most. While you have set out a list of 3 possible use scenarios, the only one that moves data to QBO is detailed to be a 2-way interface.

This is where I believe there is room to take a step back and maybe revisit. I am not familiar enough with the QBO ability to accept data, although I would believe there must be some sort of import function.

Recently we spent a huge sum of money attempting to do a 2-way interface with Peachtree Accounting and had our heads handed to us more than once. In the end, we opted for simply creating a special function in ERPNext to generate the appropriate sales invoice data ready for importation to Peachtree. Then created another function within Peachtree to just allow a user to schedule an unattended import of the data. When finished we had flushed $21k down the 2-way interface toilet and spent another $3k to accomplish the one-way import process.

The client now continues to use Peachtree Accounting for their day to day accounting work and imports the sales invoices and purchase orders from ERPNext every night in a semi-automated process (an ERPNext user executes the 2 functions to generate the data at closing time each day).

To get to the pointā€¦
Most users that are on QBO will not care much about what the accounting in ERPNext looks like. They will just want the important transactions moved to QBO so it can take of the rest of the accounting. It takes a little forethought in ERPNext to set it up to keep itā€™s own accounting functions just active enough to allow work to be done but not so much that you expect to use the ERPNext accounting data as your business accounting.

So, what we are hoping for is the one option that you left outā€¦

• A one-way interface from ERPNext to QBO containing only the transactions needed for QBO to keep the books straight.

BKM

3 Likes

This is not at all surprising, until such time that ERPNext is a threat to QBO - that day may not be that far off letā€™s hopeā€¦

1 Like