[Conference 2018] Making Open Source Work

Too new, but just in case if it makes sense.

Would data collection of transaction counts be allowed to quantify the usage from all installations. This will then allow to make a calculation of donation amount based on that usage. It would merely be a suggestion but at least would nudge the service provider/user to be conscious of the amount that could be donated. This should surely allow a more appropriate donation request and if agreed by the service provider/user make it’s way to the foundation.

1 Like

This is specifically because being new to the community and trying out the product that makes a lot of sense to promote, it would be better to give everyone an opportunity to donate an amount that aptly matches their usage.

If I am using it for testing and am doing 5 transactions a week then an amount could be calculated and yearly donation could be suggested.

Just my .02

1 Like

@rmehta this might be helpful.

2 Likes

I had known ERPnext till last year October, I began to dig deep about who actually founded ERPnext.
The reason was because i wanted to begin working with this great team begin giving back as long as my community embraces ERPs. I have loved the product and I don’t see any reason why I should not give back if they I have received from my clients.
I am coming for the conference in india actually for this reason, to make sure we make everything better and smarter, I will attend the developers meeting too before the actual conference.
Frappe will need companies like ours who deploy systems to actually be part of the foundation.
I will personally contribute to the foundation with my company am indebted to Frappe.

11 Likes

Point #3 is definitely a good idea to pull those self hosting users who rely upon PaaS/IaaS providers like DigitalOcean, AWS, etc. Minimal email support will definitely justify marginal increase of cost to the subscriber. This model definitely provides more flexibility on customization which is currently limited in the SaaS model.