Cloud availability and backup

Since ERPNext is cloud based and if cloud is not available for any number of reasons, the company is paralyzed; hence, I wanted to know about the setup for multiple location sync / backup / low latency availability for people accessing the ERP from different parts of the world due to any possible natural disaster / unstable political climate and various bans / lockdowns on internet content in one place or another so any business can still access its content and continue with normal business during such ups and downs in the service provider location.

Also, if due to weak signals or temporary internet disconnections, the ERP is open on the browser but connection not available, does it continue to work including all accounting / data entries and POS and save in background and for how long so that it can upload to ERP servers once the internet is restored? or does it stop working there and then?

Only POS has offline and online mode depending on the version you are on.

@asifnwb

I faced the same issues you are currently having and resolved the various issues by doing the following:

1. Have a localised server running ERPNext for the local team
  2. Have a cloud server also running ERPNext with the database being a slave to the localised ERPNext DB. This way the databases are always identical

This solution allowed people in other parts of the world to access ERPNext via the cloud server and the local team via the local server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Pawan.

@saidsl thanks for the solution. One more clarification, having a localised server means hosting in-house (own infrastructure cost) or that can also include subscription based hosting on 3rd party server but in home country location, hence retaining cloud benefits and web browser based access while minimizing dependency on outside country connections?

Does it work like this in the first place? :slight_smile: a question from a non-IT person of course.

@asifnwb

It can be either, in my case because the work site is in a remote location, I opted to go with own infrastructure, which really is just a basic linux box with and get a local ISP for the internet, so far its worked fine. However, if you have access to a third party server/provider than that can work as well. The key factor here is accessibility of the server/s by the team.

Another factor I would like to point out is that the localised server is also connected to the internet so access is available as well.

The option you go with is determined by:

1. Cost - Own infrastructure or Third Party
  2. Accessibility

Regards
Said