Capability Question: ERPNext EDI Integration Options

Community,

First, hello and thank you for viewing this post. I’m currently very new to ERPNext, but am optimistic that thanks to customization options available, the self-hosted version may suit the needs of my organization.

We are venturing down the road of EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) with one of our larger partners which will require a bolt-on software to our existing inventory/manufacturing software. We are not all that excited about the prospect of having to stay with said inventory/manufacturing software though and would prefer to move as much of our organization as possible into an ERP.

So, the question here is whether or not there are any existing/documented EDI capabilities within ERPNext. If not, has anyone had any experience in implementing a custom solution using ERPNext, and if so, how did it work out and what would you recommend we watch out for as gotchas.

Does anyone have any experience with this that they can share?

Thank you.

2 Likes

@EBurt My team and i are working in this for one of our clients and it has been going good. This is what we are using. http://edifabric.com/

Wow, and it’s an open source project! I’m reviewing the documentation there now. Thank you!

@EBurt If you can share your repo and we will help you when we can

Hello, I am working with open source EDI integration with ERPNEXT , for this i am using open source (http://bots.sourceforge.net), To integrate with ERPNEXT there is many changes in the process . If i can help you, please let me know.

@mona1977 We had looked at bots how is the intergration going for you?

Thank you both for the input/suggestions. We may need to engage a consultant to help facilitate this integration; time and resource constraints and all that. My organization is located in the Pacific NW region of USA. Anyone you might recommend?

Thanks again!

@EBurt what documents types are you looking for?

@woakes070048

Doc types needed are, if I understand correctly x12 types; 810, 832, 850, 855, 856

@EBurt that is exactly what i was looking for. How quick do you need the integration. @mona1977 how far was you on your integration because we have just started it and if you would like we would be willing to help you with your integration with bots working so it can something out.

@woakes070048 We’ve been living without it for a long time, but the desire to move to EDI is growing very rapidly. It seems like every day someone else wanders into my office to tell me how happy they would be if we made the switch.

I’ve reviewed a bit of the Bots documentation, although it seems like a lot of the pages are no longer available. The last update was 2014, but that may not be an issue; though it does seem to indicate to me support has waned for that project.

@EBurt yeah thats why i was so happy to finds edifact. If your will to wait we will have in the next month

@woakes070048 That sounds great! Gives us more time to evaluate the Stock component of ERPNext.

This would be a great addition to the ERPNext platform. I would encourage you to make your integration open so that the ERPNext development team can integrate it with the main software once you’ve got it working.

3 Likes

@Ben_Cornwell_Mott I figured they wouldnt want that unless it was all based of erpnext. Edifabric is a desperate program

Yes, come to think of it, that’s probably true.

Given that, I hope you’ll open source your app so others can take advantage.

With permission from all those involved, I’ll be looking to open source the solution we implement.

We’re excited to get started!

@EBurt @Ben_Cornwell_Mott We will release anything that we write under a GPLv3

2 Likes

Hey guys. Have you began development of an EDI integration? We just picked up another customer that requires EDI types 810, 850, 855.

@cattmy my client dropped it but I would be willing to contribute to a bounty. If we all want to start one. I think the best way to make it work is use edi fabrik or make it native

1 Like