Can you enable LMS for employee training?

Reading through the docs, I see that there’s an LMS module which looks interesting but the instructions to enable and use it only reference the Education type of company. Is there a way to enable the LMS module so that you could train and quiz employees rather than students?

3 Likes

Could you explain specifically what is preventing you from doing this now? In ERPNext, “Student” is just a bundle of permissions. If you give the role to employees, they’ll still be employees.

There isn’t an “Education Settings” option beneath Home or Settings on my install, as shown in the link below. My understanding is that this is due to choosing “Service” type of company during initial setup.

Setting Up Learning Management System since

1 Like

Ah, you haven’t activated the domain. That’s the problem. Go to Domain Settings, and tick Education.

@peterg Thanks, I was able to enable it but there doesn’t seem to be anything linking items in the Education domain to the Services domain. Is there a way to sync Services employees to Education students and a Service HR manager role to Education Content Masters? Otherwise someone would have to manually create and manage a Student directory and the whole process is completely outside of the employee onboarding workflow.

I’ve not ever used the LMS features myself, but it appears to be organized around the Student doctype. That’s analogous to how employees, in addition to their User account (if they have one), are represented by an Employee document.

If you’re operating at scale where it’s not convenient to create a new Student profile for each employee manually, it would be relatively trivial to create one via scripting. Just create a custom link field in the student doctype to point back to the Employee document, and use server scripts to catch on_save events.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m very new to ERPNext and am learning how this puzzle fits together.

1 Like