[Beta] Frappe Mobile built on Flutter(Android/iOS)

@youssef @wale custom scripts are not supported yet

I have tested and its very fast on mobile, but unfortonately if I try to use on desktop in the same time, ERPNext is freezing, not responding in browser. It seems some performance issue. I hope thats help.

This is Excellent Stuffā€¦ Building it on cutting-edge technology like Flutter is even better !! You guys may be the first ones to adopt Flutter for an Enterprise ERP Mobile Appā€¦ Great work guys !!

1 Like

Hi. Whatā€™s the solution for it? I updated my insurance to the latest.

can you provide your installed Frappe Framework version? also check whether you are able to access your VPS site from mobile browser

ERPNext: v13.0.0-beta.11 (version-13-beta)

Frappe Framework: v13.0.0-beta.10 (version-13-beta)

Here you go. Copied from my Android Chrome mobile browser in desktop mode. VPS working fine on mobile browser.

Thanks for the Info, You need to be on latest develop branch of Frappe Framework to be able to operate Mobile App

Hi @sumitbhanushali

Thanks for the prompt response. It will be good if this can be made a priority. Custom Scripts are a very significant part of ERPNext and not supporting them is too great a drawback for many implementations

Also, please look into supporting Chat as well

If these two things can be added, it will be absolutely phenomenal!

Thanks for the great work done so farā€¦

Kind regards,

Hi @sumitbhanushali ,

from the screenshots the UI looks rather nice.

However, could you please elaborate the rationale behind using Flutter?

Because while Flutter is easy to use and can lead to nice UX, it has a couple of properties that could become a challenge in the long run:

• Uses a separate language (Dart), which is not used anywhere else
    • While it is possible to link a JS engine to a Flutter app, ensuring that the same custom scripts can be used there as on the web would be a quite difficult task.
  • It mainly targets mobile using a completely custom rendering pipeline built on top of the GPU. While it has web rendering capabilities with 2 separate renderers, neither option is ideal:
    • A WebAssembly + WebGL web renderer, which emulates the mobile renderer on the web, and adds a 2MB download to the web app
    • A HTML based web renderer, which (according to their own website) cannot fully replicate the look and feel of the UX of the mobile version

These properties of Flutter could result in a situation that just for the mobile UI a completely separate codebase needs to be maintained - both for the standard features and also for any custom features a Frappe / ERPNext user might develop.

Another approach could be to transition the current web UI to a modern framework that already has mobile support (e.g. Vue or React) and could be used consistently for all 4 frontend use cases (web with the Desk, web for Website, mobile, desktop with Electron). This way most of the frontend logic (including custom scripts) could be shared across these use cases.

Did you consider these possible challenges?

Thank you,
Gergely

7 Likes

I was thinking these same thoughts.

Thanks for articulating it so beautifully. .

We await response from the team

Regards

1 Like

great job manā€¦
does it work with version 12 ?
also does it have push notifications for chats, events, emails etc ā€¦

pls reply asapā€¦ need help

No. This is only for version 13 latest develop branch. Kindly check there link. God Bless.

ok and what about push notifcatoins ?

:smiley: FTW great job!!

does it have push notifcations ?

Push Notifications are not supported yet.

then whats the point in using this over official erpnext mobile app app. ??

it is recommended to keep as much business logic as possible on server (i.e server script) and use frontend for data representation purposes

We are not planning to use Flutter for Web

While Vue or React can be used to generate good mobile views, they fail to give true native experience, which is our primary aim for this project, also PWAs have their own limitations and tends to complicate OS related tasks

3 Likes

please note that the project is still in beta and features like push notifications would be added soon, feel free to open a PR :metal:

3 Likes

Hi @sumitbhanushali

Iā€™m sure the team has some insights into usage stats and Iā€™m betting the use of Custom Scripts far surpasses that of server scripts. Many not-so-technical users just find it much easier to make the changes they require on the client sideā€¦ this is one of the great strengths of Frappe/ERPNext

I know numerous deployments of ERPNext without a single Custom App or Server Script but I can hardly think of any that doesnā€™t have at least one Custom Script! This really should be a very serious consideration in the development of any mobile app for the Frappe/ERPNext eco-system else youā€™ll end up with users constantly asking and wondering why features arenā€™t working as expected on the mobile app

Cheers!

5 Likes