Batch selecting Material Requests for Purchase Orders

Hello,


I work at a small design and manufacturing company and have been evaluating ERPNext over the last week to see if it would fit our needs. So far, the software seems to be exactly what we’re looking for (so thanks, great work!). 

Anyway, we’re approaching release of some of our newer products and need a way of managing the initial ordering and quantities. Some of these new products have nearly 100 unique sub-components (fasteners, machined parts, etc.) that come from a variety of suppliers. Fortunately the Production Planning Tool looks to be a really useful tool for this job. Here is the type of workflow that I am envisioning:

1. Enter all components into system.
2. Set up hierarchical BOMs up to a top-level assembly (the product we actually sell)
3. Input the top-level assembly to the Production Planning Tool.
4. Raise Material Requests (with multi-level BOM option checked).
5. Create Purchase Orders from Material Requests

I’ve used some (much smaller) test data and this seems to work great. 

So, this is my question: Is there a way to group select multiple material requests at once and create a single Purchase Order for them? 

I see in the Purchase Order screen there is a “From Material Request” option but it seems I can only select one request at a time, one after the next. Is that true? Remember, for some of our assemblies, the Production Planning Tool could raise hundreds of requests (at least initially). Manually selecting them all would take too long, negating the usefulness of the PPT. 

For example, ideally, I would select all the material requests related to screws. I would then put this on a single P.O. for our hardware supplier. Then I’d select all the requests related to machined parts and then put them on a single P.O. for our machine shop. 

Hopefully I’ve been clear.

Thanks for your time.

James



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

James,

Thanks for your interest and kind words and welcome to the forum!

Yes I see it from your point - there has to be a better way of merging multiple Material Requests into a Purchase Order.

Maybe in Purchase Order there should be an option to select all material requests from a particular Supplier. Created an Issue for this.


best,
Rushabh

On 22-Jul-2013, at 7:09 PM, James <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I work at a small design and manufacturing company and have been evaluating ERPNext over the last week to see if it would fit our needs. So far, the software seems to be exactly what we're looking for (so thanks, great work!). 

Anyway, we're approaching release of some of our newer products and need a way of managing the initial ordering and quantities. Some of these new products have nearly 100 unique sub-components (fasteners, machined parts, etc.) that come from a variety of suppliers. Fortunately the Production Planning Tool looks to be a really useful tool for this job. Here is the type of workflow that I am envisioning:

1. Enter all components into system.
2. Set up hierarchical BOMs up to a top-level assembly (the product we actually sell)
3. Input the top-level assembly to the Production Planning Tool.
4. Raise Material Requests (with multi-level BOM option checked).
5. Create Purchase Orders from Material Requests

I've used some (much smaller) test data and this seems to work great. 

So, this is my question: Is there a way to group select multiple material requests at once and create a single Purchase Order for them? 

I see in the Purchase Order screen there is a "From Material Request" option but it seems I can only select one request at a time, one after the next. Is that true? Remember, for some of our assemblies, the Production Planning Tool could raise hundreds of requests (at least initially). Manually selecting them all would take too long, negating the usefulness of the PPT. 

For example, ideally, I would select all the material requests related to screws. I would then put this on a single P.O. for our hardware supplier. Then I'd select all the requests related to machined parts and then put them on a single P.O. for our machine shop. 

Hopefully I've been clear.

Thanks for your time.

James



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 




You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

Hello Rushabh,


Thank you for the prompt response. I think your notes on the github issue capture exactly what we need. I look forward to seeing an implementation.

Best,

James



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

Welcome - Please feel free to raise such issues on GitHub - so that you can easily track the progress.


W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

On 23-Jul-2013, at 6:04 PM, James <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Rushabh,

Thank you for the prompt response. I think your notes on the github issue capture exactly what we need. I look forward to seeing an implementation.

Best,

James



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 




You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

We have added a feature in "Purchase Order" to pull "Material Request" based on default supplier mentioned in item master. There is a button "For Supplier" in PO to pull material requests. Please check after pulling latest updates.

On 23-Jul-2013, at 5:29 PM, Rushabh Mehta wrote:

James,

Thanks for your interest and kind words and welcome to the forum!

Yes I see it from your point - there has to be a better way of merging multiple Material Requests into a Purchase Order.

Maybe in Purchase Order there should be an option to select all material requests from a particular Supplier. Created an Issue for this.


best,
Rushabh

On 22-Jul-2013, at 7:09 PM, James <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I work at a small design and manufacturing company and have been evaluating ERPNext over the last week to see if it would fit our needs. So far, the software seems to be exactly what we're looking for (so thanks, great work!). 

Anyway, we're approaching release of some of our newer products and need a way of managing the initial ordering and quantities. Some of these new products have nearly 100 unique sub-components (fasteners, machined parts, etc.) that come from a variety of suppliers. Fortunately the Production Planning Tool looks to be a really useful tool for this job. Here is the type of workflow that I am envisioning:

1. Enter all components into system.
2. Set up hierarchical BOMs up to a top-level assembly (the product we actually sell)
3. Input the top-level assembly to the Production Planning Tool.
4. Raise Material Requests (with multi-level BOM option checked).
5. Create Purchase Orders from Material Requests

I've used some (much smaller) test data and this seems to work great. 

So, this is my question: Is there a way to group select multiple material requests at once and create a single Purchase Order for them? 

I see in the Purchase Order screen there is a "From Material Request" option but it seems I can only select one request at a time, one after the next. Is that true? Remember, for some of our assemblies, the Production Planning Tool could raise hundreds of requests (at least initially). Manually selecting them all would take too long, negating the usefulness of the PPT. 

For example, ideally, I would select all the material requests related to screws. I would then put this on a single P.O. for our hardware supplier. Then I'd select all the requests related to machined parts and then put them on a single P.O. for our machine shop. 

Hopefully I've been clear.

Thanks for your time.

James



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 





You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un…@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 




You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

Nabin and Rushabh,


That sounds great! Thank you for moving so quickly, I was not expecting that. I will check these changes later today but I’m sure they are right on.

Thanks again,
James



You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “ERPNext User’s Forum” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to erpnext-user-forum+un...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

 

 

Hello everyone,

We are a bicycle manufacturer and have the same request like James.
Now we are at the stage of data verification in the process of implementing ERPNext.
We also generate the material requests by using “Production Planning Tools”, however, there are several hundreds of requests after generation.

While using “For Supplier” button to generate the PO with one supplier, it needs to do it again and again until all material requests are “ORDERED”. Is there a way to generate all POs with all suppliers from the multiple SELECTED material requests associated with the default supplier in the item master?

Maybe make another “tool” under Buying system to do that?

My factory’s purchasers will love it! Just push a button and get the job done on the fly!

Thank you very much!

Charles

1 Like

@Charleshsu great idea :smile:

You can get someone to sponsor it.

This works Great in ERPNext 10 , Here is a video by Nicole Olander the Digital Diva showing how easy this is to do.

1 Like