Automated continuous master/slave streaming backup

At this point we would just like to determine:

1. if the code is understandable and usable by anyone else.
  2. if there is enough genuine interest to make it worth our time to continue refining it for general use.

So the critical issue is if I can find a few volunteers to set up a couple of temporary disposable VPS hosts with ERPNext. If not well, there’s not a lot of point pursuing this any further.

Hi, do you have the VPS to configure? I can set it up with v13.
If not, I think I can provide two Digital Ocean droplets for a certain amount of time.

1 Like

FANTASTIC!

Thanks so much!

The main thing is to run it against ERPNext V13, the way you set it up … so if you can get your droplets set up in your standard way, then we can work together to remove any conflicts.

I need to work on the instructions a bit, then I shall publish the GitHub link.

Oh uh … we have a major snowstorm here and then the weekend, so I may not be consistently available until Monday. To avoid having you rent a droplet that sits unused, it might make sense to wait 'til then, or maybe even January depending on your situation. It’s up to you.

(I’ve never use D. O. Do they allow you to suspend unused droplets?)

I can set them up on Monday but if you need more time I can wait until January since
DO allow you to turn them off but charge anyway.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I really appreciate you stepping up for this.

I’ll get back to you on Monday.

The thing … ongoing…

(view from my front door)

1 Like

Where do you from? We should sometimes meet and have conversations about things in life somewhere besides business.

1 Like

I can contribute a droplet or two too. Do you have any specific hardware setup requirement or its just to set up a disposable instance using my data for a simulated test?

Hi:
I can provide 2 virtual servers too (in our own premises).

1 Like

I’m in Eastern Ontario, not far from Montreal.

You?

The criteria for now is …

• Ubuntu
  • ERPNext V13

… in two devices, a master and a slave.

Great to have your support!

Awesome! Just hit me up when we’re ready to go and I’ll have them up in no time. I already have the images set so it will take just a few minutes to spin them up and get them running once we’re ready for the tests.

2 Likes

Yeah! That works for sure for testing purposes. It’ll work between virtual machines in the same host. It’ll also work between a local virtual machine as slave and a remote VPS somewhere in the cloud as master because the slaves do all the work. Apart from opening firewall ports and authorising slave users, the role of the master is entirely passive.

However, if you have numerous local machines you might look into Galera clustering as a superior alternative. The kind of replication I’m using here is for fragile, unreliable connections. Galera is optimised for high speed LAN clustering.

Bursa, Türkiye. Not far from Istanbul :slight_smile:

@TurkerTunali Oh! Amazing. Yeah, I am sure we could have some very interesting conversations.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

Here it is :

3 Likes

Excellent! I will test it as soon as I have some free time and give you feedback.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I can confirm that these scripts now also work with Version 14.

Please do do some testing on a pair of disposable installations. I believe you will like it.

3 Likes

This will be a very useful feature. Certainly interested. Plz let us know the Public Github Repo Link.
Thanks.

1 Like