Amend an invoice will create a new one?

Indeed, would be fun tho see that the person who you the money doesn’t pay the invoice but comes back to collect the credit note :wink:

Which if you have issued it, he has a right to do it. :wink: in the end if you he didn’t come to collect, it will be forever in your A/P as money owed.

Best

Here are sended the invoice and credit notes, and presented by both parts, buyer and seller. Second bold text cited form de link in above comment :slight_smile:

@Deepak_Pai,

In reality, if the customer hasn’t paid the invoice in the first place, he is not entitled to get the money from the credit note back.

It is just a matter of accounting.
Let’s assume we generate an invoice (without VAT), then we will register these entries in our books:

Credit: Income Account
Debit: Customer Account

Today, in ERPNext, if we cancel an invoice, these entries are just deleted. If we change the logic and automatically create a credit note on cancellation, the entries should be:

Credit: Customer Account
Debit: Sales Return Account

If the invoice had already been paid, it is the same logic, but with a credit to the bank account and a reverse entry to all former entries.

2 Likes

Hmm. Honestly, I wasn’t aware of this behaviour and I just confirmed it. Cancellation should reverse all the posted entries and not delete them. I agree that this behaviour should be changed. It goes against the “maintenance of audit trails” that I have been preaching.

Based on this, I propose:

1. The “Cancel” button should create and save a credit note which completely reverses the reference invoice without deleting the GL posting.
  2. Credit notes should specify its source invoice on the printed credit note.
  3. Based on 1 and 2, the “Amend” button should be removed. If the user wants to duplicate the cancelled invoice, there is already a way to do this.
2 Likes

If you debit the Sales Return Account, Doesn’t that leave the turn over as if there was no credit invoice? Or is the Sales Return Account deducted from the Income Account for turnover calculations?

It should be deducted from the income account for turnover calculation.
This invoice should not be added in the total revenue.

Sales Returns is a contra account to Sales

1 Like

I found a solution for this problem (i’m an Spaniard too). I modified the print format to print the original invoice number, so if you amend the invoice, you will get a new number (XXX-1), but the invoice printed will have the original one.

This is the code:

<div class="row important data-field" data-fieldname="doc_name" data-fieldtype="Name">
	<div class="col-xs-5" style="font-size: 1.3em !important; font-weight: bold;">{{ _("Invoice") }} N.</div>
	<div class="col-xs-7 value" style="font-size: 1.3em !important">
	{%- if doc.amended_from -%}
	{{ doc.amended_from }}
	{%- else -%}
	{{ doc.name }}
	{%- endif -%}
	</div>
</div>
5 Likes

Hello, everybody.

We join this discussion because in our country (Argentina) it is not very practical for the sequence to be generated by saving the draft.

What we see as something serious, regardless of the country, is that when you have several users (two is enough to make it happen) when you generate invoices in draft, and a user deletes them in an unsorted way, the sequence is no longer consecutive.

Something I imagine no one national treasury would allow. This and several problems I estimate would be solved by generating the definitive sequence when validating the document.

For those who use electronic methods to communicate to their country, billing is also a subject that limits the generation of the sequence by saving as a draft.

3 Likes

That doesn’t really help, yes you’ll have it right on the Invoice but on the Ledger it will still be referenced by XXX-1.

Yes, We also agree on this point. our accountant also pointed me.