About kubernetes and docker

Dear ALL,

Thanks for this wonderful containerisation of erpnext deployment.

I’m abit confused about the docker swarm or k8s. Seems like the whole strategy is to host more hardware for more sites or tenants.

Do I vertical scale 1 of the site with more powerful ec2 if that site has more users connection that beyond the current ec2 of that site can handle? Or I can deploy more pod / instances (web workers, background worker, redis etc) to handle only for that site?

I get the feeling that all sites sharing the added instances of workers, redis and db but I’m not that expert on docker and k8s.

Anyone willing to point me up on ways to deploy 1 frappe site or erpnext site that can handle 10k connections or beyond?

1 Like

I’m abit confused about the docker swarm or k8s. Seems like the whole strategy is to host more hardware for more sites or tenants.

Horizontal scaling with docker swarm or kubernetes means more hardware for one frappe-bench like release.
It is administrator’s choice to use one site or many sites on a frappe-bench.
One frappe-bench means

• python environment with frappe, erpnext and custom apps installed
  • static assets built from the source code of apps installed in this environment
  • expressjs/socketio for websockets
  • workers
  • scheduler

Do I vertical scale 1 of the site with more powerful ec2 if that site has more users connection that beyond the current ec2 of that site can handle? Or I can deploy more pod / instances (web workers, background worker, redis etc) to handle only for that site?

Vertical scaling is the simplest. Search the forum and you’ll find lot of resource on the topic.

Horizontal scaling with Docker and kubernetes is comparatively new.

I get the feeling that all sites sharing the added instances of workers, redis and db but I’m not that expert on docker and k8s.

Scaling nodes and pods means adding more resources for a running frappe-bench with site(s).

Anyone willing to point me up on ways to deploy 1 frappe site or erpnext site that can handle 10k connections or beyond?

Nothing beats bare-metal if you can maintain it for maximum up time.
If this is internal to company and IT admin team is available to setup and maintain the server(s).
Get the best server that can be afforded at the point in time.

With this kind of server in use even setting up non docker bench will also scale.

I prefer Docker because it also makes available other things to be installed along with ERPNext.
I’d prefer to install many other things on such a powerful bare-metal server.

Recently for one such company with sys admins available,
I’ve setup following on 20CPU x2 XEONS + 96GB RAM server

• docker swarm
  • traefik
  • portainer
  • swarm cronjobs
  • mariadb
  • mongodb
  • erpnext+custom app (30 default worker replicas)
  • angular frontends
  • nodejs backend

If your team is up for it and you are buying many servers for a datacenter, install bare-metal Kubernetes cluster, storage, load balancer, etcd cluster, multiple master and worker nodes.

If bare metal is not possible and global access, maximum up time with public usage is expected?

Get managed Kubernetes from provider of your choice and setup auto-scaling.

Report issues for Docker swarm or kubernetes on GitHub - frappe/frappe_docker: Docker images for production and development setups of the Frappe framework and ERPNext or GitHub - frappe/helm: Helm Chart Repository for Frappe/ERPNext.
I volunteer and maintain these repos because I use Kubernetes for hosting my sites.

5 Likes

Hi @revant_one, thanks a lot for you advices.

Does adding more pods or replicas make a site serve more connections if there are only a site with erpnext installed? Or I have to upgrade each kind of pod with better specs (vertical)?

Said I used aws eks, does fargate save more cost?

What are Pods?
What are Nodes?

You can add nodes to node pool to horizontally scale,

Increase the number of Pods to serve more sites after enough nodes are added to run those pods.

I’ve not used fargate with ERPNext. Share your experience If you use it.

edit: ERPNext was successfully installed on:

• AWS RDS for mariadb database
  • EKS+Fargate for deploying pods
  • Elasticache (3 separate dbs in 1 service) for redis(s)
  • EFS + CSI Driver for RWX storage
2 Likes

Is their a step by step guide for setting up Kubernetes cluster for ERPNext?

1 Like

did you try this https://helm.erpnext.com/prepare-kubernetes

I found this in the community, ERPNext | About Lovia

1 Like

Thank you very much. I will be following these steps. I will try to install it using Digitalocean kubernetes.