School - Student Batch & Student Group

FOR Engineering College ( 4 years syllabus, 8 semester)

Students Enroll for Program COMPUTER ENGINEERING having 60 SEATS

WHAT will be the mapping like

The one i understood is below :
Program > B.E./B.TECH COMPUTER ENGG. SEM-1
Course > MATHS, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY,C, C++
Batch > A,B,C ( FOR PRACTICALS/LAB , CLASS of 60 is divided into 3 batches A,B,C OF 20 EACH)
Group > FOR ELECTIVE SUBJECTS ( students selecting lets say PHYSICS forms a seperate group)

Normally Students are taught like below

All 60 students are taught theory classes for the course(physics,chemistry etc) together…

so how to make that group ( is it General-SEM1 group for theory classes, if yes that group would be based on what “Batch, Course or Activity” ?)

My query is how to make Student batch and group in the above scenario.

Can anyone please guide.

1 Like

Hey @jignesh_shah did you get your way in this ? Let me know how did you map engineering? :slight_smile:

Hi @jignesh_shah
You got almost everything right. Just one thing from my side, you can create the “course based student groups” for all the courses including the mandatory and optional courses. so if you create the course based group of any theory class without specifying the batch, all the students (60 in your case) will be part of that group. However, for the labs/practicals of the same course, there are two options.

1. you can either use the “batch based student group” of that batch
  2. you can create also create a “course based student group” specifying the batch.
    But 2nd option will increase the no of the student group, I think all the functionality can also be achieved without creating the student group of 2nd type, just you have to manually select the course in few doctype while planning assessment.(which will be either fetched from the student group.)

K12 School
I have been trying to figure out the best way to organise program, batches, student groups, courses, fee structure, for our school.
I now have a fair understanding of the database structure but am still unsure how best to proceed
I would value some suggestions.

Our school has multiple sections and multiple levels in each section. Each level has multiple classes/forms.

Sections
[Primary, Lower Secondary, Upper Secondary]
(each section has different set of courses/subjects and fee structure)

Levels for each section
Primary [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
Lower Secondary [1, 2, 3]
Upper Secondary [1, 2, 3]
(each level has a common set of subjects and fee stucture)

Forms for each level
e.g. Primary 1 Forms [a, b, c, d]

Student Groups
each Form needs multiple student groups, 1 for each course/subject
e.g
Primary 1a [ Math, Sci, English, Sport, Art, Music, DT ]

So in this scenario how best to use Program ?
one program for each Section
e.g. Primary, Lower, Upper

or one program for each Level.
e.g. Primary 1, Primary 2, Primary 3, Primary 5, Primary 6 , Lower 1, etc

Hello there,
from my side the batch/group is quite confusing…Is the bacth that is bigger than a group or not.
My understanding is this : a batch can contains many groups as for every single course we must have a group.
For exemple :A one year Program with many courses(Physics, maths, French, chemistry, etc.) we will have one batch with as many groups as we have courses? but if all courses are mandatory so the groups will be the same?
please advise.
many thanks

Yes you rightly said… Group comes below Batch. Batch is higher categorization.

Lets say this way in case of schools there can be:

1. Morning Batch
  2. Evening Batch

In Case of Colleges there can be:

1. Computer Engineering (which can also be a programme)
  2. ECE

In case of groups, it is used for shorter categorization. Lets say for example:

• You can create group for students living in Hostel or Student without accomodation for providing different fee structure in the Fees Schedule.
  • You can have different group of students for Creating Assessment Plans based on Course Selections. Lets say Computer and Maths are electives. You can create two groups for student with Computer electives and Students with Maths Electives. So on and so forth.

I hope it makes sense.

Regards.

Parth

1 Like

Thank you so much that’s make things much clear.