Need suggestion for a cheap CDN for images

No. of images will be around 1 million. I think I need a CDN or a image hosting site:
Total Size of images: 1 TB.
Speed and local delivery : not very important
Cost: Very Low cost

These images, pdfs, svgs will be linked to a Item Code. The only reason to host them elsewhere would be to save cost.

are you certain this is even possible?

@vrms you mean it will be more expensive to host pictures anywhere else ?

no, I mean whether it is technically possible to host pictures attached to ERPNext Documents anywhere else then the ERPNext instance itself.

seems the answer to that is yes

btw, I am considering using amazon s3.

I have a handful of images I host on a CDN called cloudinary for my ERPNext based website. I have referecned the public URL (cloudinary.com/imageurlhash464651315513…) in my JS code. I don’t think this is a typical use case, but it’s in line with what you’re asking.

Yes absolutely possible.

What you are seeing here is to provide a link to download the image in question, where it will then be saved in the ERPNext mysite/files/ structure.

How many images (and of what size?) do you need served? What is the technical concern?

As you mentioned ‘your JS Code’ it’s “absolutely possible” for self-hosted instances (with access to the code) then I guess?

No. of images will be around 1 million. I think I need a CDN or a image hosting site:
Total Size of images: 1 TB.
Speed and local delivery : not very important
Cost: Very Low cost

I do not need cropping or any other image service, the images just need to be fetched as is.

I think you’re on the right track with S3 or a similar service.

1 Like

came across Wasabi recently, the price looks right. S3-ish supposedly.

@dhananjay Follow up question: are these images being served to internal (ERP) users or to external (portal/ website) users, or both? I have used S3 in a similar-ish way and remotely serving images could be an effective way t o improve Frappe/ERPNext performance.

These are being served to both internal and portal users.

We’re using this with success: GitHub - zerodha/frappe-attachments-s3: A frappe app to upload file attachments in doctypes to s3.

2 Likes

@dirkvdl16 thanks for sharing, on Frappe Cloud, so using standard S3 cli