Is v10 ERPNext still supported as Stable version?

According to this post:

V10 was supposed to be supported until the end of 2020.

But it has been non-functional for at least a few weeks now due to lack of print formats. There are none in it to be used for regular sales invoices or purchase orders. These being the most important functions of the system, the version is disabled and no longer useful.

This does not match up with the promised stability support.

So what is the real answer?

BKM

I am able to install and use version10 without any problems. Possibly something went wrong during your install.

Support means that bug fixes will be accepted and released if contributed.

GitHub Issues don’t guarantee fixing unless someone fixes it. Its up to individual service providers to contribute bug fixes that will be paid by customers or end users.

2 Likes

That doesn’t seem at all possible. I have installed it 4 times (3 different servers) in the past 24 hours and every one of them comes up empty for standard print formats. You should not really say things like this unless you have actually tried it and can give a set of instructions that can be repeated.

I have been using the following command to install v10 and it is missing the standard print formats every time:

sudo python install.py --production --user frappe --frappe-branch v10.x.x --erpnext-branch v10.x.x

If you are able to install it on a fresh server and have standard print formats, then you need to tell us how you are doing it. Remember, it need to be a fresh server. That is what all of us are trying to do out here.

Yup. I get it. It is unfortunate too. V10 was such a nice version for a while. I have it in several locations (prior to the standard print formats disappearing). Unfortunately my 3 contract developers are focused on one of my other contracts to interface a bunch of lab equipment to a hospital system. It is going to overwhelm them until the 1st week of August. Can’t afford to move them away from that for a while.

BKM

1 Like

Thanks for the instructions on loose talk. I can confirm it works with a manual install for version

ERPNext: v10.1.27 (master)
Frappe Framework: v10.1.25 (master)

It seems from your instructions it could possibly be a develop branch on which you have landed after your install, because you say 10.x.x in your steps of replication.

1 Like

Frappe is happy to help with paid support for those who need it :wink:

1 Like

hello, I just installed v10 right now, it was successful and the print formats are there,

perhaps you can be more specific like what are the exact print format which you are missing in yours?
so far tried sales invoice and purchase order they are both there

1 Like

Purchase order

Sales invoice

@deatram , did you use Easy Install or Manual? Did you use the same:

sudo python install.py --production --user frappe --frappe-branch v10.x.x --erpnext-branch v10.x.x

?

I used easy install

2 Likes

I also used the Easy Install command exactly like the one you posted, yet I cannot generate a POS receipt, a Sales Invoice, or a Purchase Order.

So, what might you be doing differently that I am missing?!?

You can see in my detailed posts that when I try to print a Sales Invoice there are not formats to choose from and that same is true when trying to create a POS profile.

Are you installing on a fresh server with no previous ERPNExt installs?

If a fresh server, then what OS are you using? ( I tried Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04, Debian 8 &9 )

Or might you be using some prepared image file?

Or could this possible be realted to the chosen country of origin and currency? I notice yours is different than the USA and USD that I selected during the setup wizard.

BKM

Since v10 and v11 are not the active developing versions, does this also mean that there will be no fixes to v11 unless they are contributed?

I only ask because when I read the original thread about the teams vision of supporting some versions as stable, the same quote was applied to both v10 and v11 there as well.

If this is true for both versions, then it sets the bar pretty high since the bulk of the talent for developing rests with your dev team and there is very little talent outside that to take on any issues with the core system. I just want to make sure I understand this completely. Does this explain the lack of fixes showing up for many of the permissions issues in v11 because the dev team is focused on v12? Or is v11 actually treated better than v10 because it is still fresh and may still have the teams attention?

Please help me clear my confusion.

BKM

2 Likes

installed on Digitalocean, Ubuntu 16.04. its a brand new instance,
followed easy install instructions from GitHub - frappe/bench: CLI to manage Multi-tenant deployments for Frappe apps
once it reached the step to run install script, there is when I replaced it with v10.x.x script

1 Like

We have the same confusion.

In our case, providing many huge BUGS PR containing V11, we have to be fighting to get them merged. It is not enough to declare it correctly, to develop the correction (some cases are very complex, such as the total breakdown of all the functionalities of the Report Generator, which unfortunately reach a limit for our developers), but we are told that most things happen for V12.

In order for V11 to be a stable version, there is a lot of work to be done and V12 again has big changes that could not be supported again (with the bugs it would merit), and I find it hard to understand how everyone else does it (and the more than 700 clients that are supposed to be on erpnext cloud).

I really wonder what version the biggest companies and service providers in the community use, since many times there are errors that limit important functionalities.

Regards

1 Like

Believe me, I feel you pain.

Our large clients are locked into either v9 or v10 at this time. I have no servers running anything older any longer.

I am only using v11 with smaller ‘retail’ clients because most of the bugs are not going to affect them as bad as they would my larger accounts.

I believe, that at some point in the very near future, the foundation will come to realize that they are no longer gaining market share because they cannot keep the interest of mid-sized businesses with the current level of bugs without fixes.

It seems that the development team has been on a massive push to improve the core system with new innovations and no longer care about their past work. Since the bulk of the frappe/erpnext developer talent is really only working on v12 and forward, it is likely that v10 will be the very last working version that the general public can install on their own and be reasonably happy. The current development pace that rewards forward work and somehow discourages fixing their bugs, is going to eventually kill the project altogether.

I know that sound sad, but it is really the only available conclusion we can see at this time.

BKM

4 Likes

Has there been any thoughts on using something like IssueHunt.io, whereby bounties could be raised for bug fixing? If devs can be paid, then more highly likely for things to be fixed?

1 Like

Frappe will support any version for a yearly fee of $1500/- or something like that with bug fixes. Check with them.

3 Likes

v10, v11 and v12 are all open to security and bug fixes. Anyone can contribute fixes that follow contribution guidelines.

FYI, Frappe supports hundreds of companies on v10 and v11. Most people who crib are locked into to customizations that obviously they have to manage themselves.

Also you can buy professional support at ERPNext for Enterprise

3 Likes

How should we go about if we don’t make customizations?
Are the v10, v11, v12 updated as you find bugs and security issues?
Thanks for sharing.

[Edited]
I think the code is open to be merged if someone posts a bug fix or a security issue. But Frappe or The Foundation is not taking care of it. Is that right?

Frappe its constantly fixing issues that are reported by its customers. If you mean, proactively, the answer is no.

1 Like