Hardware Employee Time Tracking with RFID Chips

Beautiful! & Inspiring!

1 Like

Hi @dominik we also would be happy to help testing. This is also an interesting topic for several of our customers.

1 Like

The first 10 boards have been assembled and are now ready for the software testing.

Here are some pictures taken with my phone. The flux residue is normal around the THT solder joints, I guess this is why PCBs are normally green and not black so it doesn’t look that extreme. But I really thought black would look sharp.

We have also designed the case for 3D printing and they will be printed on our printers some time later this week. If everything goes according to plan we have the 10 prototypes ready by the end of the week.

5 out of 10 devices are allocated now. Who wants one of the remaining 5 prototypes? Write me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sneak peek of the case

• Optimized for 3D printing
  • Dimension is 110x160mm (4.3 x 6.3 inch)
  • Thickness is 30mm (1.2 inch)
  • Wall thickness 2mm (<1/10 inch)
  • PCB is mounted to top case with 4 screws
  • Ethernet and power cable can be brought in from wall through the bick window in the back
  • Font case is then pushed over back of case and screwed together with a srew from each side
  • Back of case (bottom) printed with white PLA or ABS filament
  • Front of case (top) printed with black PLA or ABS filament
  • 0.5mm gap between front and back of case
  • Pin holes in front for buzzer sound and reset button

Images

Rotation

case

10 Likes

Hello dominik,

I’ve gone through your all posts in this thread. Your effort is really awesome. We also tried designing hardware from scratch. The cost became too high while we provide the sufficient memory (4+GB) for transaction logs, user database, multiple arduino chips for parallel processing, and ethernet/gprs/wifi processing, handling offline data and management online communication adding additional runtime memory and etc.,
At the end, we worked with the existing hardware vendors and we made the biometrics device adding with the motherboard we made. Now our machines can be used for integrating with ErpNext without any support of desktop application. Machine supports rfid, fingerprint, face and palm attendance types and the no. of users supported in the devices varies from 500 to 100,000. Refer [WORKING] Attendance with Biometric Integration through API for messages from our satisfied customers and refer Buy Biometric Time Attendance and Access Control System With Web API or Online SDK | Cams Biometrics for our product list.

1 Like

@dominik Maybe you could present your effort at the ERPNext event with @rmehta in Wiesbaden, Germany in November?

2 Likes

Hey @creamdory

What are the updates with this?
Does it store locally and then sync?
Any plans for sharing the Arduino code?

@rijul we have existing PR. We will work on the Test Case and the Documentation. See here https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/pull/15216. The device is done. Though we bump into a problem that port is accessed only in HTTP but our server has HTTPS redirect as well. As to the your second question, it doesn’t store locally. It will make an API call directly and make a post real time.

Thanks any plans to share the arduino side code?
I think we could try to add local storage to it as well.

Yes! Arduino code will be open. We will prepare a repo for it so all can take a look and improve. Will publish the link here once ready. :slight_smile:

Initial release of the project, we are not stable yet and this is WIP but please check it out. This is completely open source, PCB fabrication files, CAD data, arduino code it’s all there!

6 Likes

I think the attendace needs to be tracking in & out points and calculate attendace based on time (actually what the timesheets do). For now the most finegrained attandance is half a day which I believe does not apply justice to very many real scenarios.

Hi,

have you analysed challenges to integrate fingerprint scanner with ntimer.

Just FYI, below fingerprint scanner works with Arduino and Raspberry PI

This could be the future Face Recognition !

Thanks

2 Likes

@dominik What’s your status here? Anything we could do to support you?

2 Likes

Hi @dominik any progress on this matter? I have a customer who is very much interested. Maybe we could take this chance as a use-case to see if it works. The customer is in the 3d sintering business and would surely be able to print a nice casing.

Please let me know!

if you look at the repository’s & PR’s activity this project seems not to have made progress since ~November 2018 months.

I could imagine the Attendance not being build to record fine-grained in/out point or time periods may be the hurdle to hight to jump over. Is it @creamdory?

@vrms @wojosc the biggest hurdle we had for this was the Arduino hardware can only access port only in HTTP.

@rijul we have existing PR. We will work on the Test Case and the Documentation. See here [Doctype] Employee Checkin by creamdory · Pull Request #15216 · frappe/erpnext · GitHub 32. The device is done. Though we bump into a problem that port is accessed only in HTTP but our server has HTTPS redirect as well. As to the your second question, it doesn’t store locally. It will make an API call directly and make a post real time.

(as you use past tense here) does that mean

• the project is burried, due to that or
  • you are still looking for solutions?

maybe anyone can help with that.

This is a great effort towards something organisations demand everywhere. On One thread I read here a while ago, @rmehta mentioned something about abandoning or avoiding a version of web based employee attendance implementation within erpnext because it could easily be “gamed”. Anyone could login from anywhere and say they attended work.

I’m wondering how this project addresses the problem of one employee clocking in for the rest. I went through this entire thread and didn’t see this concern raised or addressed. I think without added access control, RFID cards pose this problem and this may be the reason behind the increasing popularity of biometrics.

Or is there a solution planned for this ?

I guess that is true, yes. Though clocking in and ou is only a timestamp which could easily be calculated toward a preset number of daily working hours and could then also be used to fill the attendance accordingly.