[EDITED] Which Bench environment should I use for developing v11 apps?

I have switched from v12 to v11 master using bench switch-to-master

I need clarity whether I this (or the v12 develop) is has setup an ideal development environment for new apps. From the looks of it, it’s almost like this is a production environment, notice the following bench update snippet:

yarn run v1.15.2
$ FRAPPE_ENV=production node rollup/build.js
Production mode
✔ Built js/moment-bundle.min.js
✔ Built js/libs.min.js

If you want to make your development future safe, use v12. If you are just looking to support an existing installation v11 is fine.

Ultimately the best way to ensure continuous upgrades is via contributions. I have seen way too many instances stuck on old versions because they have customized too heavily.

@rmehta

Am confused , version 12 ? I assumed V12 is still in development and not ready for deployment ??

Is version 12 ready to be used in a production environment??

Certainly, I’ve had further thought on this and decided on to work on v11.x.x (master). Being new to Frappe development and wanting to implement certain features differently, developing separate apps is the easier, and faster.

Because there’s no telling when v12 will be production ready, so it’d be hard to have to add my new features to the core when the delivery date is short. As a beginner I think it’ll be harder developing my apps on v12 then checking and coding extra for backward compatibility, than updating them for compatibility.

The ultimate goal is to be able to contribute directly to Frappe/ERPNext, however, certain use cases (new and altered features) are better tested locally then pushed to the core.

This process should also add clarity to the acceptable standards. In some cases I’ve seen contributors put effort into developing something not properly aligned with the consensus design road-map.

Thanks for your answer @rmehta :slight_smile:

Hello @olamide_shodunke. At the time of posting I did not realise that difference between Bench development environment and Frappe app branches. Clearly you want to develop in a development environment. As for the Frappe app branch you use, depends on your goal. My guess is:

For new features to ERPNext: V12 (develop)
For custom app development: V11 (master) is best
Production: V11 (master) or V10 (v10.x.x)

1 Like

For the Bench application itself, please use master. Version = 4.1.0.

You are correct about the ERPNExt and Frappe versions. V12=develop, V11=master. And people are mostly using V10 and V11 in production.

1 Like