Desk 2.0 - New Navigation

There are two pull requests open:

And:

Both are ready to pull in but have not yet been merged. These are prerequisites to the sidebar, the work for which is done and also ready to be submitted for a PR, but we’ve been following the requests of the maintainers and keeping the changes small.

3 Likes

@tmatteson The first looks like @johnhkelly (on github) needs to do some corrections? The second looks like @netchampfaris did not check the PR yet, right?

1 Like

Looks like we got a little movement this week. We separated the pull requests to make them “incremental” as requested but as originally expected, they don’t really stand alone. Custom homepage doesn’t make sense without sidebar. So I believe we are merging those and trying to get them approved. @tmatteson may have more info.

5 Likes

Hey friends, as I’m sure you are all aware, we did our best to move forward on desk 2.0 in a way we would have the full support of the governing body only to find out that they decided to go in a completely different direction.

While we are all very disheartened by certain decisions, we are not giving up. We are users like you and need certain things not echoed by everyone. We will keep you informed as we move to make a standalone Frappe app that will offer new UI/UX and navigation functionality we would like to use. Please stay in touch and share your support here so we can know who is looking for a solution like this so we can keep you up to date as we get things done.

If you’re a coder and willing to help with some front-end muscle, please let us know.

14 Likes

Thanks. From the video i saw it looked great. Plus i tried your origin repo a couple of months ago and it was nice to use.

I can only speak for myself but i am excited to see what you release.

I feel its a shame. with the pull requests it looks like you simply choose what you wanted. I guess this is more of like what odoo or flectra does with there themes.

I am very excited about this and would love to help if I can. I have been researching how to use the React grid layout code (exactly what Metabase uses) to create a widget customized command center page (as opposed to a desktop) that would incorporate reports, charts and transactions on a single screen. Here is a link to the Github project for reference.

3 Likes

Thanks mslake for sharing. The React grid layout looks cool. May I know where you plan to design this into? To replace the desktop page?

For me, it’s totally find as it give a flexibility to move/sizing around for each module/functions.

Thanks.

This comment is difficult for me to understand. Would you mind being a bit more specific or point me to a page where I can read more? What is the “different direction”?

Martin, look at the thread below:

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I realize, that I should read more in this forum …

Hi @joshreeder,

are there any news about your stand-alone frappe app? I am currently getting into ERPNext for a completely new internalö project. Therefore no pre-biased users here that would know the old desk.

I would therefore realy like to start the project with a more modern look and feel.

Thanks
Doca

1 Like

agree, keep it simple. new approach adds too much clutter.
an erp is a power-tool, users will learn shortcuts and prioritize screen estate & clarity.

remember that many people use 13" laptops

2 Likes

I suggest to avoid animations. It looks nice but will quickly become annoying.
Also, why have collapsed hierarchies like that when the screen estate allows to show all? The result is just an incredible amount of mouse-clicks to find what you are looking for.

2 Likes

Hello all,

we just updated to v12 and I have to say I kind of like the new desktop. I would say a few things are missing but it’s more tidy then the old one.

One thing I would realy like would be if I was able to create a new DocType Instance right from the Desktop. If there was the + from the DocType Dashboard where the arrow is pointing in the following pic that would be great.
grafik

What do you all think?

3 Likes

That’s a brilliant idea! I think it would definitely enhance the UX

Cheers

+1 for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mario_Truss is this something you might be able to push via PR?

@wojosc What do you mean?

as just talked about on the phone…

@joelios lets have a quick look at this on friday. Maybe we are already able to push a PR…

I’ll keep you all posted.

2 Likes

That would be awesome! :+1:t3: