Create knowledge base proposal

Hi,
We spend lot of time looking for a solution to a problem, or lack of information, at the end our effort can be successful and completed with a learned lesson or can fail and we can’t reach any result.

In the first case where our effort was successful I suggest to create a Notes, adding all details as per below structure, submitted for review/approval, then published in the shared knowledge Base (available under discussion forum for example) .

Inspired from Oracle support, here I will suggest an approach to create and publish notes as shared knowledge base.

Governed by authorized maintainers, where authorization is given by Frappe team.

It will be a page where we can search for notes by key words like error message or doctype name etc…

a notes is a document created having an ID.

Type of Notes are How To and Issue Resolution or more open for suggestions.

How To notes will add clarity to guides manuals and will not replaced, since the same in some area is not clear or people find doubts to use it.

Issue Resolution will give resolution steps for specific issue at a time.

A - How To notes structure:
1- Notes title (M)ex: How to create a serialized Item (Doc ID : 71258)
2- APPLIES TO (M): to mention ERPNext version or Frappe version where applicable this note, also specify platform, OS, OS version if importan and has an impact on the specified notes subject.
3- GOAL (M): the why of this notes, objectif, target, business impact…
4-SOLUTION (M): steps to implement solutions, add screenshots, video or reference of additional notes.
5- REFERENCES (Optional): show reference of an external document used for this notes
6- KEYWORDS (Opt): key word to be added here for search
7- ERRORS (Opt): error message, error code, mainly used for search

A - Issue Resolution notes structure:
1- Notes title (M) ex: How to create a serialized Item (Doc ID : 71258)
2- APPLIES TO (M): to mention ERPNext version or Frappe version where applicable this note, also specify platform, OS, OS version if importan and has an impact on the specified notes subject.
3- SYMPTOMS (M): you can mention here the expected behavior, the current behavior, steps to reproduce the issue.
4- CHANGES (Opt): mention here changes you did in the system at any level, of any kind, just before that changes system was working fine then problems happen, not applicable in all cases
5- CAUSE (M): after investigation you are able to identify cause of this issue so mention it here.
6- SOLUTION (M): steps to implement solutions, add screenshots, video or reference of additional notes.
7- REFERENCES (Opt): show reference of an external document used for this notes
8- KEYWORDS (Opt): key word to be added here for search
9- ERRORS (Opt) : error message, error code, mainly used for search

suggestions / comments are welcome.

Note : I am not a developer, please don’t ask me to do it :wink:

2 Likes

This is a GREAT idea!

Here a How To notes sample :

Here an Issue Resolution notes sample :

Could that be done with something as simple as a searchable wiki?
Or am I missing something about how you have it structured?

BKM

Hi,
@bkm sorry I didn’t get you? you suggest wiki as platform solution right?

Yes it can be, if wiki provide such approval workflow, write / edit authorization and search capability then yes why not…

Could you take an initiative to implement the same in wiki, just high level as POC for go/nogo decision.

I am here for any inquiry.

Thx

thx

After discussion with @auliabismar frappe have added articles section for each module, where it can be the subject of the proposed KB (Knowledge Base) platform.

Other option available, new category called “Knowledge” will be a good feet to my proposal.

what is your thoughts?

Thx
Nofal

Add them as articles in user manual.
This way it will be referred by a lot of users.

correct, but knowledge base is more technical I mean for people who already in ERPNext and looking for issue resolution or looking for a How To documents.

In the other hand, discuss forum search capability is advanced comparing to articles search is basic…

one more option, search result will show Notes from knowledge base and community discussions topics classified by category/subcategory.

How To Notes can include well explained specific use cases of one topic from the user manual, currently user manual includes implementation guide and end user guide to show that such feature exist.

New category can be included as a link (URL) in user manual under additional info section to invite readers for more details.

Thanks
Nofal