[Community Development] Barcode camera scanner and integration

Goals
Add barcode and qr code integration via easy use functions and a barcode scanner to the erpnext mobile app for single field data entry and navigation to a doctype with data entry using the omni scanner.

Features
Barcode camera scanner 2 functions

• Omni scanning – opened from desktop encoded barcode scanning a qr code redirects to a page a prefills with value’s or just directs you to a page link or completes an automated feature like tagging in and out for timesheet
  • Field scanning – opened from a field scans any barcode to fill data into a field possibly with icon like link field
  • Context scanning - possibly selected from omni scanner or from doctypes like stock entry
    by using QR codes use’s qr codes containing only info about the item they are attached and are used in something like stock entry so when you scan an item it adds or stock reconciliation etc

QR code and barcode generation

• Simple functions for generating barcodes
  • Barcode control field so print can auto generate barcodes stores values in plain text Barcode Type Field · Issue #983 · frappe/frappe · GitHub
  • encoding for omni scanner use
  • print formatting for a4 label stickers can be selected and printed too – in progress

Current Libary’s planned for use (i welcome recommendations)

im looking for someone to help with the barcode scanner integration

related items

Github Issue

10 Likes

Thanks @RobertSchouten. Let’s wait for some feedbacks so that we can break it down in small pull requests and estimate the development.

1 Like

@RobertSchouten Nice! Can you put this to a GitHub Issue too?

was waiting for community response shall we break down into several issue’s and create a milestone?

Thanks @IAGAdmin for linking me to this thread!

I would love to help but I have no programming skills at all. I therefor also having problems understanding everything of @RobertSchouten’s initial post. But maybe I could give some ideas how I would like to use a barcode camer scanner.

If I understand you right, you are thinking of two options: field scanning and omni scanning.

• Field scanning is used just the way you would use a keyboard. Example:

• searching for an item in the search bar

• When using a tablet as a POS, you wouldn’t need an extra barcode scanner.

• With omni scanning you scan a barcode with your “usual” android barcode scanner which then linkes you directly to a certain ERPNext page. Example:

• Scanning a Purchase Order which then links you to that Purchase Order so you could edit it

• Looking up the informations of an item (price, description etc.) and the related warehouse information (amount on stock, next planed delivery etc.) while serving a customer

That would be great!

I could also imagine a third option where you let ERPNext do something more advanced which you tell it upfront. Example:

• Scanning the items of a new delivery from a supplier which then

• generates a Purchase Receipt,
    • links it to the Purchase Order,
    • updates the Purchase Order if necessary and
    • prints out labels for the items
  • For stock reconciliation, similar to number 1, you could make the system count the items you scan and compare it against the stock amount in the system.

Hope that helps.

Could this feature be used to reconcile the fixed asset register if you had asset tags on things?

@frehu01
thanks for the feedback is a big help
sorry it’s it to technical
the fieldscanning is dead on
the omni scanner currently is planned for use only with the erpnext app
your second option would be a standard qr code with a link to pages and could b done from any scanner or the omniscanner
3rd option part 1 would b an advanced use case of the omni scanner and im hoping to add in that kind of detail in
but theres a big difference between opening a doctype and prefilling and a multistep process (i would like to do but not sure on the details)

3rd option part 2
would require a 3rd functionality to keep track of items you can with the items only having barcodes to there item page

1 Like

Yep the second option also pre-fills data in a doctype.

We are thinking to develop something you can for example generate a QR code (via the printing feature part of this integration) to apply to your serialised items and every time you move them to a different warehouse you scan their QR code using the new app which allows you to perform actions, like directing to a new stock entry pre-filled with date, item code, serial number, latest warehouse location, etc. Then all you need to do is input the new warehouse location and submit the entry from your mobile.

Good question!

Have you got any specific case scenario?

We are thinking to design it in a way a list of customised actions can be performed by a user with a mobile phone, so it should work for a stock reconciliation too.

I think it would be great if we could build in some context sensitivity to this development. A Bar Code scanner can be used in many ways:

1. Check out an item in a PoS counter
  2. Record the Serial Number of an item in transactions: Material Receipt, Purchase Receipt, Stock Transfer, Manufacture, Material Issue, Delivery Note, etc.
  3. Record the Serial Number in transactions such as Fixed Asset reconciliation, stock reconciliation, etc.

One way this could be done is to scan an item. As the item is scanned, the scanner (mobile device in this case) gives the options:

Check Out Item
Check Out Item and Record Serial Number
Record Stock Transaction
Record Reconciliation Transactions

and after the operator picks the option, there could be another option that goes:

Done
Scan Multiple Items for the Same Purpose

Thanks

Jay

1 Like

Hi all

One of our clients is also looking for a barcode scanner solution. Below are their requirements:

• Shall be available on Smartphone and Tablets (Android and iOS)
  • Scanning solution should be integrated to the ERPNext application
  • Shall scan pallet numbers and serial numbers
  • Should not allow multiple scans of one unique pallet/serial number barcode
  • User should key in the block hoisted and material item code
  • Shall allow multiple serial number scanning per item code
  • Shall allow multiple item code entries per assembly item
  • Should choose option to assign or unassign serial number to the assembly item (refer to the process description).

@JayRam mentions what I am thinking of were you can scan a bar code on an asset tag to do fixed asset reconciliation and other tasks. This is a great feature you guys are working on.

My only addition to his use case is if I go into assets and then pick option to record reconciliation transactions, I could then go into scanner mode right there and scan a bunch of items. Same for any of the other cases of use, go into function you want to use scanner for, tell erp you are going to use the scanner and go for it.

Thanks Tony!

Thanks James

updated plan
Omni scanning – opened from desktop encoded barcode scanning a qr code redirects to a page a prefills with value’s or just directs you to a page link or completes an automated feature like tagging in and out for timesheet
Context scanning - possibly selected from omni scanner or from doctypes like stock entry
by using QR codes use’s qr codes containing only info about the item they are attached and are used in something like stock entry so when you scan an item it adds or stock reconciliation etc
Field scanning – opened from a field scans any barcode to fill data into a field possibly with icon like link field

1 Like

hi @tonyta

i had imagined that qr tags would be for a single item and serial number and you would just have tags for each that are then used for multiple purposes. ie item look or stock entry or stock reconciliation

With scanning pallets how do u see that working.
Would a pallet contain a single item with qty or multiple serial numbers
or should each serial number have there own barcode?

Hello community! Any updates on this development. I have a simple requirement for now, once I scan a barcode, I want it to apprear in that Barcode field, Has anybody already developed the interface for that?

Thanks

Jay

Hi @JayRam!

Look we are waiting the Foundation comes alive to have this development funded by the community.

In regards to your enquiry, we use a simple usb barcode scanner to scan serial numbers for purchase receipts, for delivery notes and stock entries. Is it this what you mean?

What do you anticipate the cost of this development to be?

Maybe dumb question. But i have a barcode scanner in my hand and ERPNext open on my desktop. I maneveur to the barcode field on ERPNext and I scan a product. Will that product’s barcode details be automatically populated in the bar code field on ERPNext, or is there any middleware or configuration that is required.