Cattle Farming Management

Dear all,

I’m looking for a System for a Cattle Farm. The Farmer should be able to track and calculate cost of goods of the Cattle, growth percentage, diet and medications. Basically a Cattle is an Item which continuously is growing in Value until it gets sold.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions how to handle such a scenario in ERPNext.

Thanks, David

Hi David,

Unfortunately a ‘livestock’ search turned up no forum postings for that domain.

Likely you are ware of these project domains
tmatteson Meat Cuts Processing - #9 by funtasho
Tropicalrambler ERPNext for Agriculture and ERPNext spatially enable - #25 by Tropicalrambler

Here’s a 5+ year old dialogue of projects and products for reference
https://www.reddit.com/r/homestead/comments/jy70m/good_management_software_for_livestock/

A group of domain experts and practitioners would be best to identify extend and differentiate livestock management to related domains for eg patient health care?

cheers, John

2 Likes

Dave,

The agriculture module has been envisioned to manage livestock in the future.
I collaborated in the development for the module regarding ag-industry for plants, crop cycles, etc.

The next version should contain items for managing populations, carry capacity, feed formulations, veterinary reports, and other topics that can be proposed.

My goal is to have something by the end of the year that is working well.

Would you be willing to have a hangout to discuss this particular topic so your input is taken into consideration?

I believe that developing over ERPNext is a great investment in the longterm, since the erpnext platform already supports and other activities core to any business with great reliability and flexibility, what I personally consider “future proof”.

Before Hydroponics and programming, I grew up at a farm that had cattle as its main business, before we had to diversify and change to crops like sugarcane, etc.

Send me a direct message so we can discuss what we have in mind.

3 Likes

Hi John,

thank you for your input.

Thanks, David

Hi Alain,

this goes exactly in the direction I thought about. I will reach out to you to setup a hangout to discuss some details. Maybe we could work on this together.

Thanks, David

1 Like

I would be delighted!

What the progress on this

Any prediction for release of a new version?
Is it planned to manage items (eg trees) on each land?
I believe that making the app versatile for more industries related to natural resources exploration would bring more interest and possible investment in it.

I’m willing to invest in this app, but I can’t wait years for development…

1 Like

Hi TRambler, are you there? Any new developments on a livestock extension? I’m a farmer not a coder :grinning:

Hello everyone!

I apologize for absence regarding the development for all these modules. This message, however, bears really good news.

Like many of you I was a farmer first not a programmer!

I am also desperate to get my ag module up and running, and to that effect, I needed a structure to better supply our needs and my vision for the quality of software I wish to contribute.

As of October the 1st, 2019 I have officially incorporated our Software services Company: Si Hay Sistema S.A. in Guatemala, with which I plan to offer coding services, with an initial focus on ERPNext core contributions and open source custom applications that are currently in the backlog. In short: We’re open for business!

We have set up our website: sihaysistema.com

This structure will allow me to complete work more effectively, as I now have access to resources in our team to whom I can delegate certain tasks.

And we also have structured our product offerings accordingly.
I like @idao’s suggestion that we should structure the app for Natural Resources Management and Exploration, because this aligns better with the true intention of the domain focused app: Not only agriculture, but livestock (cattle, fish, wildlife), forestry, perhaps even extractive industries and maybe even solar / wind / hydro / petroleum, etc.

I am ready to hold a hangouts meeting on Tuesday of this week to:

1. Define a Backlog of desired features
  2. Establish a new working team (for those who want to contribute)
  3. Set milestones and working teams
  4. discuss investment for coding the features.

Here is the proposed time:

You can reach me in Telegram messenger: @Tropicalrambler