Can somebody share a testimony from a migration from quickbooks to ERPNext?

hello folks,

can somebody share a customer testimony from a successful migration from quickbooks to ERPNext?

1 Like

Done from Enterprise to ERPNext ver 11. Did not migrate any data. Created chart of accounts and started entering transactions. Simple trading operation where everything is dropped shipped.

Had to created many custom fields and change form permissions.
Print forms are kind of pain.
Main issues are:

• permissions in ERPNext are very poor
  • the force to cancel and create new transactions when a linked transaction is changed. This is product of the concept where transactions are submitted and unchangeable which is great in theory, but very different from QB
  • bank reconciliation is a pain
  • NO AUDIT TRAIL!
  • Have not found how to close a period, but allow overrides with password
  • Does not allow serial # entry of drop shipped items
  • Is not really thought out completely from a business standpoint. For example on drop ship PO: terms are from sales order rather than from supplier though there is no reason supplier terms are same as customer.
  • if you create sales order from quote, does not pull any drop ship fields even if quoted items are for drop ship

In summary workable, but buggy and will lose in some areas though gain in others. The browser access from anywhere is great. It is responsive, but there is not enough focus on getting the accounting basics right.

We had used Quickbooks since 1994, but migrated because Intuit’s new subscription licensing holds users hostage and that was not acceptable to us.

4 Likes

My story is different than above.

We have user QB since 2001 and work fine with basic operation.
After some years we need access for multiple location, more users, access levels , more speed.

So we have switched to ERP next.

Migration is very simple.

Just get the master data from QB and import to ERP next.
Then opening balances
Then some configurations like user access levels, stock locations, cost centers, chart of accounts, sales templates, quotation templates, POS templates, PO templates , human resource functionalities, CRM etc…

Then You are ready to go.

Hope this will help.

5 Likes

I would be happy to hear more about this in detail. If you can share your detailed experience then we can try and look into these points.

3 Likes
  • permissions. Use case to allow customer service to generate and view invoices (accounts receivable and payable accounts only) have to give them access to accounts which is all accounts including payroll, etc). Solved by creating 25 user permissions per customer service user for only income, expense, receibale, payable accts they need. There is no way to duplicate user or copy all 25 permissions to new user. So every new user need to create manually 25 entries
  • bank recon: I do not perform, but person who does complained
  • audit trail: In QB can see all transactions changed, created or DELETED by a user for a period of transaction dates or a period of when user performed change. In ERPNext if I go to transaction can see history, but how to do for deleted transaction? How to audit a user or a period to find a changed $ amount?? This is very useful
  • QB allows closing up to a date so no user can change or do transactions with transaction date prior to that closing date. This can be overriden by any user by entering a password. So prevents unintentional changes, but allows necessary ones. We use for month to month closing to match certain government reports, but other things that are OK to change within 1 fiscal year like accruals, etc. can be adjusted. ERPNext does not allow and it’s override logic using sales credit limits as example is not practical. In QB if customer reaches credit limit, user cannot save invoice, but can call over a supervisor who IN THAT SAME SCREEN enters password to save. In ERPNext user cannot submit sales invoice or sales order, how does user with rights to do that approve without having to reenter all the transaction data? They cannot do from lower level user’s screen

Hope clarifies a little.

2 Likes

I agree with you on this point. And I think they’re working on a better user permission feature.

Yes this one is basically just clearance date change and not actually reconciliation of the statement, Like PDC manual clearance etc,

This is present, you can check the trail on the bottom of each document, If not then you can enable it from customize form, Also there is deleted document doctype where you will find all the deleted documents and their details .

There is a period closing.
Also the user authentication is not present.

2 Likes

Thank you for deleted documents info that is helpful.

We know there is a period closing, but does it allow selected users to change/delete/add transactions in the closed period after closing?

Going to a transaction to see changes does not resolve the most critical use case. Example it is May 2019 and as part of accounting procedures beginning balances are checked. It is discovered today that December 2018 ending balance is wrong in 3 accounts, though unchanged on Dec 1. Need a way to find changes done between April 1 and April 30 2019 to those 3 accounts on transactions with posting dates between Dec 1 and 31, 2018. Currently, it would mean going to ledger for all 3 of those accounts and examining each transaction individually. The Deleted Documents view more generalized with more/better filters would do the trick as it can show all transactions by modified date and transaction date.

Hope clarifies some more and maybe there is a way to do, we have not found as have only been live with ERPNext for 2 months.

1 Like

Do your accounting standards allow transactions to be added/removed/altered once an accounting period is closed? Mine definitely don’t.

This is definitely a gap in ERPNext, but I believe the general ledger will be immutable starting in v12. That should make auditing dramatically simpler.

2 Likes

From separate post saw the Report under Tools → Activity that may work as an audit trail (need to test further).

Our accounting standards do NOT allow changes once year end is closed and reported to tax authorities. Real situation is we want to close on the 20th of the month transactions for the previous month by the customer service people as some monthly reporting has been done. But there is no restriction on accruals, Inventory adjustments, etc. done by our external accounting staff from month to month. Year end tax values are not entered until 6 months after the year end close and we do not want people accidentally changing balances for 6 months in a Closed period. In other words, there needs to be multiple levels of closing a period with different user rights.

1 Like

I suspect you don’t want to use period closing vouchers for this then. In addition to locking down the period, a closing voucher also zeros out all income and expense accounts, which I assume you don’t want to do each month?

Instead, I agree that you’d want to route this through permissions. To my knowledge, there are no time-based permission settings available out of the box, but it should be a relatively straightforward customization.

1 Like

thank you guys, Peterg, Tonto, Fkardame, Sanath_Udayawansa2 for all your insides and for keeping ERPNext community a great place to share!!!

2 Likes

We had a successful migration from Quickbooks to ERPNext, started about 2 years ago. We didn’t do any stock management or manufacturing control in Quickbooks. With the migration we had a chance to build up all of our BOM’s, and start proper stock control. Initially we ran both systems parallel for about 4 months, before moving away from Quickbooks.

Now we’ve got the “core” stuff running smoothly (buying/selling/stock/manufacturing/debtors/creditors etc), and are starting to experiment with the “softer” stuff (HR module e.g. training, leave management, Quality etc)

We hosted ERPNext on a small server on site, but moved to AWS about 2 months ago. Performance has never been an issue.

3 Likes

@dirkvdl16, I have issues connecting to QB. The connector installation went without a hitch. But syncing is the issue. Please help.

Hi

We didn’t use the connector. We exported data from Quickbooks and imported into ERPNext manually.

1 Like

How exactly did you migrate the data manually? I am thinking of trying this but so far the only way I have seen is to export to CSV from QB and then manipulate the data into XLS for upload to ERPNext?

Yes, that is the approach we took. It was time intensive but also provided an opportunity for the company to organise their master data (and actually build the BOMs).

Worth noting that ERPNext now has a new Data Import Tool which seems much more robust.

If you believe you have clean data, I guess another option is to use a more programmatic approach by retrieving data from QBO via their API, remapping the fields and post these to ERPNext using the API.

I have no experience with the QB connector, as at the time this wasn’t available/an option for us

Thank you, I am also thinking that this is the way to go. We don’t use QBO and I don’t want to migrate our QB Professional to QBO either, which is why I am looking at moving our accounting functions into ERPNExt at this time.