Bench update fails bench.utils.CommandFailedError: npm install yarn

I have on ubuntu 18.04 following app versions
erpnext 11.1.36
frappe 11.1.33

bench update fails. bench build works. Following are 3 significant errors

npm ERR! prepareGitDep /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-0357db12/node_modules/webpack-cli/bin/config-yargs.js:89
npm ERR! prepareGitDep 				describe: optionsSchema.definitions.output.properties.path.description,
npm ERR! prepareGitDep 				                                           ^
npm ERR! prepareGitDep 
npm ERR! prepareGitDep TypeError: Cannot read property 'properties' of undefined

npm ERR! package.json Non-registry package missing package.json: parchment@github:quilljs/parchment#487850f7eb030a6c4e750ba809e58b09444e0bdb.
npm ERR! package.json npm can’t find a package.json file in your current directory.

bench.utils.CommandFailedError: npm install yarn

Any pointers? Help!!
Note: I went through existing different posts but no luck

Complete trace is below

~/frappe-bench$ bench update
INFO:bench.utils:npm install yarn
npm WARN deprecated browserslist@1.7.7: Browserslist 2 could fail on reading Browserslist >3.0 config used in other tools.
npm WARN deprecated core-js@2.5.3: core-js@<2.6.8 is no longer maintained. Please, upgrade to core-js@3 or at least to actual version of core-js@2.
npm WARN deprecated hoek@2.16.3: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated boom@2.10.1: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated flatten@1.0.2: I wrote this module a very long time ago; you should use something else.
npm WARN deprecated uws@9.14.0: New code is available at GitHub - uNetworking/uWebSockets.js: μWebSockets for Node.js back-ends 🤘
npm WARN deprecated cryptiles@2.0.5: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm WARN deprecated sntp@1.0.9: This module moved to @hapi/sntp. Please make sure to switch over as this distribution is no longer supported and may contain bugs and critical security issues.
npm WARN deprecated hawk@3.1.3: This module moved to @hapi/hawk. Please make sure to switch over as this distribution is no longer supported and may contain bugs and critical security issues.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep 1>
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > uws@9.14.0 install /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/uws
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > node-gyp rebuild > build_log.txt 2>&1 || exit 0
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > wd@1.11.2 install /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/wd
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > node scripts/build-browser-scripts
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > core-js@2.6.9 postinstall /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/core-js
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > node scripts/postinstall || echo “ignore”
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep Thank you for using core-js ( GitHub - zloirock/core-js: Standard Library ) for polyfilling JavaScript standard library!
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep The project needs your help! Please consider supporting of core-js on Open Collective or Patreon:
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > https://opencollective.com/core-js
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > Denis Pushkarev | creating core-js | Patreon
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep Also, the author of core-js ( zloirock (Denis Pushkarev) · GitHub ) is looking for a good job -)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > sauce-connect-launcher@1.2.7 postinstall /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/sauce-connect-launcher
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > node scripts/install.js || nodejs scripts/install.js
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > parchment@2.0.0-dev prepare /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > npm run build
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > parchment@2.0.0-dev build /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f
npm ERR! prepareGitDep > webpack --config webpack.conf.js
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep 2> npm WARN install Usage of the --dev option is deprecated. Use --only=dev instead.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated istanbul@0.4.5: This module is no longer maintained, try this instead:
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated npm i nyc
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated Visit Tools That Integrate With Istanbul API's for other alternatives.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated circular-json@0.5.9: CircularJSON is in maintenance only, flatted is its successor.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated nodemailer@2.7.2: All versions below 4.0.1 of Nodemailer are deprecated. See Status :: Nodemailer
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated babel-preset-es2015@6.24.1: :raised_hands: Thanks for using Babel: we recommend using babel-preset-env now: please read babel-preset-es2015 -> babel-preset-env · Babel to update!
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated nomnom@1.8.1: Package no longer supported. Contact support@npmjs.com for more info.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated mailcomposer@4.0.1: This project is unmaintained
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated socks@1.1.9: If using 2.x branch, please upgrade to at least 2.1.6 to avoid a serious bug with socket data flow and an import issue introduced in 2.1.0
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated uws@9.14.0: New code is available at GitHub - uNetworking/uWebSockets.js: μWebSockets for Node.js back-ends 🤘
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated hawk@3.1.3: This module moved to @hapi/hawk. Please make sure to switch over as this distribution is no longer supported and may contain bugs and critical security issues.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated node-uuid@1.4.8: Use uuid module instead
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated buildmail@4.0.1: This project is unmaintained
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated boom@2.10.1: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated hoek@2.16.3: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated cryptiles@2.0.5: This version has been deprecated in accordance with the hapi support policy (hapi.im/support). Please upgrade to the latest version to get the best features, bug fixes, and security patches. If you are unable to upgrade at this time, paid support is available for older versions (hapi.im/commercial).
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm WARN deprecated sntp@1.0.9: This module moved to @hapi/sntp. Please make sure to switch over as this distribution is no longer supported and may contain bugs and critical security issues.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/webpack-cli/bin/config-yargs.js:89
npm ERR! prepareGitDep describe: optionsSchema.definitions.output.properties.path.description,
npm ERR! prepareGitDep ^
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep TypeError: Cannot read property ‘properties’ of undefined
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at module.exports (/home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/webpack-cli/bin/config-yargs.js:89:48)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at /home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/webpack-cli/bin/webpack.js:60:27
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at Object. (/home/frappe/.npm/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-5e6f971f/node_modules/webpack-cli/bin/webpack.js:515:3)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at Module._compile (module.js:653:30)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:664:10)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at Module.load (module.js:566:32)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at tryModuleLoad (module.js:506:12)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at Function.Module._load (module.js:498:3)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at Module.require (module.js:597:17)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! parchment@2.0.0-dev build: webpack --config webpack.conf.js
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR!
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! Failed at the parchment@2.0.0-dev build script.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! /home/frappe/.npm/_logs/2019-06-19T04_43_35_953Z-debug.log
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! parchment@2.0.0-dev prepare: npm run build
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR!
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! Failed at the parchment@2.0.0-dev prepare script.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! prepareGitDep npm ERR! /home/frappe/.npm/_logs/2019-06-19T04_43_36_240Z-debug.log
npm ERR! prepareGitDep
npm ERR! code ENOPACKAGEJSON
npm ERR! package.json Non-registry package missing package.json: parchment@github:quilljs/parchment#487850f7eb030a6c4e750ba809e58b09444e0bdb.
npm ERR! package.json npm can’t find a package.json file in your current directory.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /home/frappe/.npm/_logs/2019-06-19T04_43_37_534Z-debug.log
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/bench”, line 11, in
load_entry_point(‘bench’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘bench’)()
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/cli.py”, line 40, in cli
bench_command()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 764, in call
return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 717, in main
rv = self.invoke(ctx)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 1137, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 956, in invoke
return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/click/core.py”, line 555, in invoke
return callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/commands/update.py”, line 32, in update
patches.run(bench_path=‘.’)
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/patches/init.py”, line 21, in run
result = execute(bench_path)
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/patches/v4/install_yarn.py”, line 5, in execute
exec_cmd(‘npm install yarn’, os.path.join(bench_path, ‘apps/frappe’))
File “/home/frappe/.bench/bench/utils.py”, line 159, in exec_cmd
raise CommandFailedError(cmd)
bench.utils.CommandFailedError: npm install yarn

have you updated bench ?

yes did that part also with no luck

[a] bench update → it fails entire above trace is regarding that

[b] also did a separate update of bench itself . i.e. went to .bench folder and did git pull

Try this… (as your frappe/erpnext user)

npm config set prefix ‘~/.npm’
export PATH=~/.npm/bin:$PATH
source ~/.profile
npm install -g yarn
bench update

You can also try installing yarn manually, it helped me a few months ago.

Did steps mentioned by you. Output on bench update is same as reported earlier. i.e. it fails
Thanks!

Did you execute these in the ~/frappe-bench subdir?
Also, if you’ve done any manual git manipulations, often they interfere, and what then works (after the npm stuff) is

bench update --reset

• yes it was executed inside frappe-bench directory
  • Did run bench update --reset ← output is same i.e. it fails with above mentioned errors
  • Thanks, for guidance

As a last ditch attempt - have a look at this - I’m not sure if it’ll help, but at least it’s a start point to look at

• I noticed one thing inside frappe-bench folder that I don’t have file name package.json. I do have package-lock.json. Note i did run ls -al
    Does that helps to solve issue i am facing? thanks

how you did that? thanks

I googled ubuntu 16 yarn manual install and followed some of the steps from first or the second link.

For example this:

or this

(they are both the same I think)

Yeah, Linux way is long, hard and unobvious.

Sorry, I can’t offer you something more useful, since I’m one of the terminal-disabled dudes =\

Note: None of the above solution works
Issue : On ubuntu 18.04 when you do installation using easy script, you end with environment where bench update fails.
Work around : You can do git pull for each app and do bench migrate

1 Like