Actual Harvest (un-answered question)

Continuing the discussion from Agriculture actual harvest record , fertiliser application and ipm application:

Hi All! Does anyone have any answer to the questions posted in the mentioned Topic? There are very good points brought up.

Sorry @vai_bai and @Manson_Kibe for not answering sooner. If you see questions related to agriculture you have my explicit permission to tag me so I can help.

Here is a video tour. Have a look at that and see if it helps. If you have questions on this, just include the timestamp from the video in your reply so we can focus on it.

1 Like

Hi Tyler! I watched the video and it doesn’t touch the subject that was brought up earlier whatsoever. I am more concerned with the cycle crop completion stage. Example: we harvested tomatoes from Land A. The crop cycle is complete. We harvested 500kgs and the total expense is 500$. Where and how erpnext can reflect this outcome. Thanks in advance!

I am referencing this to the latest version of the develop branch 10.1.33 as of 2018-05-24.

Are this going to be recorded as different crops such that they will be selected separately while creating a crop cycle.

Yes. There isn’t a great way to split this out as of right now, but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. A (bad) workaround is to set all crops to perennial so that you can harvest from that crop until you retire it.

Under crop, we have produced items, but the produce varies different based of different factors, so how can i record actual harvest for each crop cycle.

The intention here is that crop is used as a persistent set of information about a crop. Basically the information you would want to copy down from the tag on the seed bag.

How can i view all activities and IPM of a particular crop cycle?

I’ll ask Alain @Tropicalrambler to jump in on this one.

Lastly, how does the carrot produced update the inventory in the warehouse?

I’m looking for the harvest button and I don’t see it. I’m not sure how this missed the final cut. I’ll work on it and send a PR to the team. You can do it manually by making a Stock Entry of the type “Material Receipt”. @codingCoffee Do you remember where we left this?

And were it to be taken to manufacturing what would be the procedure?

That part is the easiest: once it’s been entered as a Stock Item, all the normal manufacturing procedures are available.

Thanks Tyler! I will eagerly wait for the Harvest Button to come up soonest!

Tyler, what does the produced item in the crop doctype mean? where is it linked?

Crop Doctype, second to the bottom.

Thanks! Tyler currently I am trying to set up accounts for several farmers which later on will be linked to the production of herbs products by manufacturing facility. What I am having trouble with is that :
a) after crop cycle is complete farmers don’t understand the concept of stock receipt into the warehouse. They would rather prefer having HARVEST function inside crop cycle, where they could indicate yield. Any simple workaround except performing stock transactions?
b) we are not able to identify how much it costed to grow that crop cycle (expenses for particular harvested amount). Where should the inputs for the cost go? should I create BOM for crop and insert the dollar values for each item? any other way of just inputting the total cost?

I would really appreciate if you could share some of the examples from your implementations of this module. I have read all the online references and none reflect the practical instances.
Thanks again!

Agreed, I would like it to work that way too. I’m pulling together the code for it now.

For clarity, you are not recording expenses per-crop-cycle, or only per-crop? This is not unusual for large farms and the standard practice for smaller farms. (In this context what I mean by "large farms’ would be ones that have a full time bookkeeper and some kind of formal management structure). That said, per crop cycle is better at yielding management information like: “This lettuce rotation was two times more profitable than the rotation before it! Why?”
Per crop is typically also an improvement over lumping all crop expenses together, which is what most very small farms (like farms with no or a few employees, often a family and their available labor) because the return on this level of detail of management just isn’t worth it. I think that most farmers are learners by nature and aspire to understand the most detail they can handle, but there’s a business decision to be made about the time they spend on it.

This a valid and likely the best approach, but you have a few options here.
At our local ERPNext meetup @cradford bestowed us with this pearl of wisdom: “It’s an ERP, so everything is an item.” If you’re not going to use a BOM, you’re still going to enter all the items costs (or you can back out the item costs if you know the quantities - a feature not available in most accounting systems) and the quantities of each item. You can stop there but it’s not hard to put those things into a BOM, so you might as well. I’m sure your farmers won’t be offended by working in “stuff” instead of “dollars”.
To purchase items, you need to use at minimum a Purchase Invoice, but you may have need for the longest workflow of:
Quotation → Material Request → Purchase Order → Purchase Receipt → Purchase Invoice → Payment Entry
It may sound like a lot of work, but each of those offers a control of money or stock that a larger customer might need. I think a [ Purchase Order → Purchase Invoice ] only workflow is probably fine.

I am happy to help. I want agriculturalists everywhere to use ERPNext, not because it’s good at the farm stuff (it isn’t yet) but because it’s excellent at all the other things: the things that farmers ofter struggle with and the things that get farmers into trouble with their taxing authority or other compliance.
There aren’t many right now, but I know of a few who are on the forum: @Tropicalrambler and @sheerland My work has been a large customization project for an aquaculture operation and we are not using the agriculture module to facilitate this, the workflows are not a close enough match to have used it as a starting point.

1 Like